PTR Question

digitaba

Verified User
Guys please help me with some info

Some emails are bouncing back telling it cannot find the hostname.

My ISP says i need to create a PTR and that it must point to one domain.

The DA is setup with this name
server.digitaba.co.za

But it is not a registered domain as the actual domain is digitaba.co.za

I have created dns records for server.digitaba.co.za

My question is should I just request them to create the PTR for server.digitaba.co.za pojnting to my main IP address or is there something else I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance

I am a little confused as to who is supposed to create the PTR since you said they said you had to do it then you mention requesting them to do it. Sounds like to me you need to first figure out who has authority to make this record. One of you needs to create the PTR.

server.digitaba.co.za needs to resolve to your main ip address and your main ip address needs to resolve to server.digitaba.co.za. You are not pointing anything.

I am a little confused as to who is supposed to create the PTR since you said they said you had to do it then you mention requesting them to do it. Sounds like to me you need to first figure out who has authority to make this record. One of you needs to create the PTR.

server.digitaba.co.za needs to resolve to your main ip address and your main ip address needs to resolve to server.digitaba.co.za. You are not pointing anything.

Hi my ISP must create the PTR for me, they are also the people that told me this is the problem with regards to reverse lookup records.

They told me I must create a support ticket indicating that my server IP address must point to a domain but I am not sure which domain it should point to.

digitaba said:
They told me I must create a support ticket

That is better.

digitaba said:
but I am not sure which domain it should point to.

Already answered.

floyd said:
server.digitaba.co.za needs to resolve to your main ip address and your main ip address needs to resolve to server.digitaba.co.za.

There is no requirement in the RFCs that the reverse DNS point to anything specific; only that it exists.

That said, it's a good idea to have the main IP# for the server point to the server hostname.

Jeff

So i sent through the request and the ISP created the PTR but everything goes crazy like not receiving emails and nameservers not being found etc.

This is weird so I asked them to reverse to PTR request.

It's obvious I do not understand this issue properly and need to research it properly.

Thanks a lot guys

created the PTR but everything goes crazy like not receiving emails and nameservers not being found etc.

You not receiveing emails and nameservers not being found doesn't have anything to do with the PTR.

These resolve:

server.digitaba.co.za to 41.203.24.60
41.203.24.60 to server.digitaba.co.za

Still no luck with the emails but did get a hint from this email I sent of from my server account.

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx6.agora.co.za [88.198.23.153]: 557 Your IP 41.203.24.60 does not have a reverse DNS entry. Disconnecting...

What also concerns me though is that I cannot do any DNS management on digitaba.co.za as I get this error "Cannot View Dns Record" on my main account I created but on all the other 49 accounts I can view DNS Management in the User Level.

SERVER NAME:
server.digitaba.co.za

AND MY ACCOUNT
digitaba.co.za

It seems that the two are clashing or something is messed up, please guys I am clueless :(

You need to get your isp to setup reverse dns for your ip 41.203.24.60

Yeah i thought as much but they want a domain name, which one do I give them or do they setup reverse dns for all 49 accounts.

Easy answer please, remember I am a clutchplate :)

I dont know what you use on the ip 41.203.24.60 usually people just have it reverse to their server hostname.

If this was your server hostname server.digitaba.co.za then tell them to point the reverse dns to server.digitaba.co.za.

Yeah i thought as much but they want a domain name, which one do I give them or do they setup reverse dns for all 49 accounts.
Hopefully your upstream knows better than that and will only point reverse DNS to one name.

Why? Because if they do it for all, then every time anyone does a search for the IP# they'll get back all the domain names.

And since the RFCs only call for one, what will happen then, from program to program, resolver to resolver, is completely undefinied. Some will accept the first, some one at random, some will crash.

Virtually none will match up the IP# resolution with the domain resolution, as at the resolver level there's no way to know which you want.

So generally, chatwizrd is right; you set up reverse for your hostname.

For our clients we generally set it up for their hostname.

However there's NO requirement as to what it needs to be and it does NOT need to match anything to be RFC compliant.

What it should NOT do is look too generic; some anti-spam solutions block on generic-looking reverse DNS entries.

Jeff

Honestly I think its strange they dont have it pointed to anything. It would be better if they just had it set to something normal like ip-127.0.0.1.ispdomain.com

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Generally your upstream manages your reverse DNS on their own servers and don't delegate it to you.

Jeff

Back