SPAMCANNIBAL - false positives!!

aquila

Verified User
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this issue, but I thought it will be helpful to others to let them know. I've been using spamblocker 2.1.1 and spamcannibal has blocked 100's of emails in a day and they are all geniuene!! Spamcannibal blocks the smtp servers. I have our customers complaint that they werent able to send emails and I wasnt able to whitelist the domains as it was huge in number and i only had to disable spamcannibal and the server seems to work pretty well now.

Thanks,
Abilash

I had a similar issue with RBL blocklists. I'm not sure how spamcannibal is included within the Exim configuration though and if it was released within the configuration provided by DirectAdmin, but in our situation it was due to the following code:

Code:
  deny message = Email blocked by SPAMHAUS - to unblock see http://ourwebsite/
       # only for domains that do want to be tested against RBLs
       # domains = +use_rbl_domains
       log_message = $dnslist_domain blocked e-mail from $sender_host_address
       !authenticated = *
       dnslists = xbl.spamhaus.org : \
                  pbl.spamhaus.org

In which we forgot to add:

Code:
!authenticated = *

This might solve it for you too, though it might already be there as well. In that case, post a bit of the configuration so we can have a quick look.

Hello,

SPAMHAUS works just fine.

# deny using spamhaus
deny message = Email blocked by SPAMHAUS - to unblock see http://www.ourwebsite.com/blocked.php
# only for domains that do want to be tested against RBLs
hosts = !+relay_hosts
domains = +use_rbl_domains
!authenticated = *
dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org

I had to comment out SPAMCANNIBAL which blocked false positives

# deny using bl.spamcannibal.org : see http://www.spamcannibal.org/cannibal.cgi
# moved to last place to check logs to see how much it blocks
# note if using spamcannibal you should probably whitelist constantcontact.com
# deny message = Email blocked by SPAMCANNIBAL - to unblock see http://www.ourwebsite.com/blocked.php
# hosts = !+relay_hosts
# domains = +use_rbl_domains
# !authenticated = *
# dnslists = bl.spamcannibal.org

Last edited:
We haven't used SpamCannibal in some time; look at this thread.

I'm going to ask DirectAdmin staff if they'd consider updating blocklists or moving to a new release of SpamBlocker3.

Jeff

Spamblocker 2.0

Hello, Jeff
I have a very recent installation of DirectAdmin and my exim.conf says it has the version 2.0 of SpamBlocker.
I am a little concerned becouse you sayd in the linked post that you are only supporting SpamBlocker 3.1-beta or later.
Should I update? Is DirectAdmin coming with an outdated version?
Thanks in advance.

Isaias

Hello, Jeff
I have a very recent installation of DirectAdmin and my exim.conf says it has the version 2.0 of SpamBlocker.
I am a little concerned becouse you sayd in the linked post that you are only supporting SpamBlocker 3.1-beta or later.
That's me :), not DirectAdmin staff. When you get support from us, we update to the latest Beta version and then make a note to offer you an update to the final when it's released.
Should I update? Is DirectAdmin coming with an outdated version?
The version supplied by DirectAdmin is obviously working for lots of people. My opinion is that the latest version works better. I've gotten behind in work lately, or I would have supplied the latest version to DirectAdmin staff already.

Jeff

How do you fight yahoo if not using spamcannibal

Hi guys! You 'll see I am new in this forum, but as you all complain about how aggresive is spamcannibal I am interested to see if have any good ideas about blocking the spam activity of Yahoo servers.
Our org receives tens and sometimes hundreds of spam even with switched identity (meaning phishing for hotmail, gmail and others). Interestingly there are some attempts from others, but Yahoo is the far away leader in my stats.

Ooops this is 2008 thread...

Hi guys! You 'll see I am new in this forum, but as you all complain about how aggresive is spamcannibal I am interested to see if have any good ideas about blocking the spam activity of Yahoo servers.
Our org receives tens and sometimes hundreds of spam even with switched identity (meaning phishing for hotmail, gmail and others). Interestingly there are some attempts from others, but Yahoo is the far away leader in my stats.

Either block all or some yahoo servers using local blocklists, or get more aggressive with SpamAssassin.

Jeff

Back