Admin Password does not seem to work

cannonball

Verified User
I changed my DA Panel password today for the user ADMIN but trying to login with the new password redirects me back without error messages to the login screen.

Trying another (false) password renders the error message for invalid username and/or password.

I have erased all old cookies, offline cached files etc and tried to login again -- but still the same result. Back to a blank login screen.

I also have tried different web browsers (Firefox, Explorer, Opera) -- again; back to a blank login screen.

I run DA on a dedicated server and have root access to my machine.

What should I do to be able to login into DA again?

Change the password in unix of your admin user.

Code:
passwd admin

Thanx, chatwizrd, but how exactly do I do that? I use putty to login as the root user on the server on which DA resides. If I then use the "passw admin" command, Debian tells me that "passw: command not found".

Could you tell me step by step with full commands exactly how I change the DA admin password (not the root access password of my server). I use Debian.

Thanx, worked like, well, just fine... I simply made that typo all the time though I found posts suggesting exactly what you did here. Thank you again. I should take som time and learn to read all over again. Sorry!

So... First of all, here are som possible solutions that the guys at DA suggested: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=179 -- of which none could be applied to my problem.

What I did was, I logged on to my server and ran passwd admin. The system asked me for a new admin password and I typed a simple one consisting of only letters and numbers. After that I could log in again.

This made me think. The previous password looked something like this: 13"#¤5WE45T. I.e. it did contain other characters as well, not just numbers and letters. So I changed passwords again in the DA panel and used this password to test with: !"#123¤%&456. Then I tried to login to the DA panel, but NO sir. All I got was the login screen over and over again. The DA error logs gave at hand that a user (null) tried to login. Nothing more.

Another pw change to one containing only letters and numbers allowed me to login again.

So there´s seems to be an issue with the way DA handles more complex passwords. The null user thing in the logs also confuses me. Of course (at least) I could not get a password containing other characters than numbers and letters to work.

Well, enough of my ramblings... Hopefully my insights in this problem will be of some help to others that encounter the same problem. If you try to login and either forgot your password or just get the login screen without errors, try
Code:
passwd admin
directly on the server and then use only letters and numbers in your new password.

Last edited:
Back