Server Detecting Processor Speed Wrong?

EGS

Verified User
I have an Intel Quad Core Q9550 processor on my server.
It detects it as four processors at 2000mhz each. The processor runs at 2.83ghz though..so how am I losing .83ghz like this?

Says correct info in processor name though:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

Just not in processor speed! Please help.

Also I have 8GB of RAM installed and it's only detecting 8 142 956 kb (which is 7.76573GB)

Please helpp

King,

DirectAdmin's server status page is a reflection of what the hardware reports. It does not limit the speed or quanitity of your hardware in any way. If you have 8GB in there you'll be able to use the 8GB, provided that your kernel can handle the 8GB.

No need to panic.

King,

DirectAdmin's server status page is a reflection of what the hardware reports. It does not limit the speed or quanitity of your hardware in any way. If you have 8GB in there you'll be able to use the 8GB, provided that your kernel can handle the 8GB.

No need to panic.
But the hardware is 2.83ghz

Your server is still running at 2.83GHz, the O/S isn't recognizing the clock speeds correctly, but you are still running at 2.83GHz.
This will not compromise your performance and is not a totally uncommon problem with newer CPUs, even with Windows.

Have you checked your BIOS?

DA is just reporting what the hardware claims to be. If the BIOS is configured as 2.0GHz, regardless of the actuall hardware, that is what will be reported.

^^^ That is true, my statement was assuming you've got the BIOs configured correctly.

I have an Intel Quad Core Q9550 processor on my server.
It detects it as four processors at 2000mhz each. The processor runs at 2.83ghz though..so how am I losing .83ghz like this?

Says correct info in processor name though:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

Just not in processor speed! Please help.

Also I have 8GB of RAM installed and it's only detecting 8 142 956 kb (which is 7.76573GB)

Please helpp

DA only reports what your kernel says ... this issue sounds to me like an BIOS problem ... reboot and go inside BIOS and see if it recognise 2.83 GHZ and not 2.00 -- If you see 2.00 GHZ in BIOS, or less -- UPGRADE your bios !

This may be a temperature issue and your kernel had switched processor to cool mode.
Check your /var/log/messages for that.

Back