CNAME Confusion

jlpeifer

Verified User
Can somebody please help me out... I know this is possible, but I'm striking out.

I use DynDNS to help resolve the public IP address for one of my client's networks. We'll call it "foobar.getmyip.com". My client's domain is "example.com". I want the subdomain "exchange.example.com" to point to "foobar.getmyip.com". I'm pretty certain this can be achieved via a CNAME record, but I've tried all sorts of incantations within DA's DNS record entry screen to get this working, but I can't seem to get it right.

I've tried the following "Name" "Type" "Value" entries independently with no success:

exchange CNAME foobar.getmyip.com.

- and -

exchange.example.com. CNAME foobar.getmyip.com.

What am I doing wrong?

What is it doing? Are there any errors in the logs. If you are not the server administrator then you need to ask your hosting provider for help.

Check /var/log/messages after doing rndc reload or check /var/log/directadmin/error.log

scsi, It's not so much what it's doing, but what it's not doing. When someone pings "exchange.example.com" I want a response from the whatever ip address is associated with "foobar.getmyip.com".

I've seen this work before, I've just never attempted it myself. Seems it should work, but I either have a syntactical error or I'm missing something else.

When I ping exchange.example.com I get an unknown host error.

Back