Need authentication users when sending email via my server.

L-Zet

Hello! Can anybody help me?
Sorry, i'm tlaking english not so well.
I found at forum threads with same problem, but i didn't find any solve.
I have installed exim and vm-pop3 by default with DA.
And sometime i found out that my SMTP don't need any authentication to send mail. And some spammers use my server as open smtp.
How can I change this situation?
I need configure my server for authentication when sending mail, using same usernames and passwords with POP3

If you used the standard DirectAdmin installation of exim, then you shouldn't have the problem; the default exim.conf file supplied with DirectAdmin (and which I wrote) doesn't allow open relays.

however... if you put domain names into the /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains file, then those domains can relay. The obvious solution in that case is to not put any well-known domains into the whitelist_domains file.

The next version of the exim.conf file, SpamBlocker Version 3, will NOT use the whitelist_domains file.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I use Exim/Directadmin standard configuration and I've no domain into the whitelist_domains file but my exim MTA is open to relay...I also tried to put this:

fixed_login:
driver = plaintext
public_name = LOGIN
server_prompts = User Name : Password
server_condition = \
${if and {{eq{$1}{username}}{eq{$2}{mysecret}}}{yes}{no}}
server_set_id = $1

but exim seems to ignore the authentication. (I tested it in many way by telnet server:25)
thank you

post enough information in a Private Message to me so that I can try the relay.

Jeff

Sent the information

Just sent a pvt message
feel free to get in touch with me by MSN: [email protected]

In exim.conf I found:

domainlist local_domains = lsearch;/etc/virtual/domains
domainlist relay_domains = lsearch;/etc/virtual/domains : localhost

in which there's aimip.org and fibrosipolmonare.info

Last edited:
Could it depend on spamassassin?

Have a look:

http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/SpamAssassin/Integrating_SpamAssassin_with_Exim

<<You must not invoke spamd with the --nouser-config or --auth-ident options when using this transport. If you use --nouser-config, spamd will ignore spamc's -u argument, and user preferences will not be examined. If you use --auth-ident, spamd will attempt to confirm that spamc is being run by the user given in its -u argument. Because Exim runs as its own user, the authentication will fail and spamd will refuse to look up user preferences. >>

I've replied to your private message; I'm glad you figured it out.

Jeff

pophosts...

sorry

I the same problem: I've checked all my exim.conf but I haven't found where the problem is... :(

I've also tried with "chattr +i" to pophosts and pophosts_users: without autentication at the first time from an IP I can send messages outside server and domain.

Have you got ideas?

fdimeo: how you have solved?

Back