VMWARE Server

pluk

Verified User
Anyone running DA on a VMWare server? Seems to be a good way to run the backend OS so that you can migrate the servers, backup and restore and so much more...

Anyone running DA on a VMWare server? Seems to be a good way to run the backend OS so that you can migrate the servers, backup and restore and so much more...

you know i use vmware but i now understand that it's take alot of memory
beacuse "xen & xorg"
i will try virtulbox and tell you if it's more better

I am not sure what you mean by a lot of memory. I have 2 machines each running 4 virtual machines using VMWare Server. Each machine has 2 GB of ram and the vm's have 384 MB each. I reserved 512 MB for each host. I love it. And customers like it because they know I am not overselling.

I am not sure what you mean by a lot of memory. I have 2 machines each running 4 virtual machines using VMWare Server. Each machine has 2 GB of ram and the vm's have 384 MB each. I reserved 512 MB for each host. I love it. And customers like it because they know I am not overselling.
ok listen...
vmware it's good sowtare but it's take alot of cpu you agree with me about that ?
when i say "alot of memory" it's like 100+- more than mb!
i try now to you "virtul pc" by microsoft and i dont like this sowtare
he dose'nt support all the os's
now i need 2 try virtulbox and i will tell you if this sowtare much better of vmware
thanks

but it's take alot of cpu you agree with me about that ?

Not necessarily. Again I don't know what you mean by "a lot." A lot could be anything. I only know numbers. I did not give the cpu in my last post. Both machines are running single 3.0 mHz processors.

it's like 100+- more than mb!

I don't understand that statement either. I have no idea what that means.

If you think 2 GB is a lot for the host and 4 VM's then it does take a lot.

I am just stating what my machines are doing with VMWare Server. You can judge for yourself whether personally think that is good or bad. I cannot give any recommendations without real numbers. You have not given us your numbers.

ok look my summry of all software for virtul machine:
virtualbox:it's take a "many" ram,it's easy 2 use,that means your cpu will be high
2 tell how much it's many?i dont know it's like what you gonna install
virtual-pc:good software!easy 2 use working good
but it's support only in windows os
so you need to install windows on your server
vmware:
i like this software !,easy 2 uses,but working slow with xen & xorg
but i say now that it's the best software 2 use
i try the 3 softwares now and i juse enjoy from vmware

man listen..:
i try to explain you and 2 give the best software for your server
the point is if you use on your os{linux} KDE or GNOME
it's take alot of ram {100-80 MB}
i you install server edition it's good
but use the good software for your server to keep your ram !!

it's hard to explain
there is some "stigma" or "proverb "
"one picture equals 1000 words"

Last edited:

KDE and GNOME are for desktop machines not servers. They should not be installed on servers at all.

but working slow with xen & xorg

VMWare is not used with xen and xorg.

pluck you have not responded so I guess you have the information you need. If you have any other questions please post. Otherwise I am done here. My experience with VMWare is good.

KDE and GNOME are for desktop machines not servers. They should not be installed on servers at all.

VMWare is not used with xen and xorg.
yes it's does
cheek this code:
Code:
root ~]# Xorg

Code:
[root@vmwarehost ~]# Xorg
-bash: Xorg: command not found
[root@vmwarehost ~]#

If you would like instructions on how to properly set up a VMWare Server then please let me know.

I've been running directadmin on vps servers for a couple of years now, both on esx 2.5-3.0 and vmware server 1.3 till 2.0. Using a virtual system has a lot of advantages against bare metal, vmware snapshots are a perfect way to backup a server before upgrading apache,php,mysql etc. VMware vmotion when a server breaks down it will simpy be started on a different machine with a short downtime.

So, TS, vmware is probably the best way to start your directadmin adventure :)

I've been running directadmin on vps servers for a couple of years now, both on esx 2.5-3.0 and vmware server 1.3 till 2.0. Using a virtual system has a lot of advantages against bare metal, vmware snapshots are a perfect way to backup a server before upgrading apache,php,mysql etc. VMware vmotion when a server breaks down it will simpy be started on a different machine with a short downtime.

So, TS, vmware is probably the best way to start your directadmin adventure :)
that's true
easy 2 backup
yea it's god sowtare

yes it's does
cheek this code:
Code:
root ~]# Xorg

ben, I think you are confusing a VM host and a VM guest. You can run just about anything as a guest using VMWare as a host, but VMWare has no dependency or relationship to Xorg or Xen software.

By the way, if you are running a Xen host inside a VMWare VM that would be inadvisable. Xen is another virtualization technology that would be comparable to VMWare and it would not make sense to run one VM host inside another one.

If this is what you are doing then no wonder you are having performance problems!

Mate, if you are using things like "easy 2 use" or "will be high
2 tell how much" no one will find your posts even if you give a good solution. How hard can be to write a "to" and not a "2"? :confused:

And about the problem... I use VMware server too on IBM opteron based servers and it works great! Also I have a VMware ESXi server that is even better... so, if you have a server supported by ESXi give it a try... and it's free.

ok look my summry of all software for virtul machine:
virtualbox:it's take a "many" ram,it's easy 2 use,that means your cpu will be high
2 tell how much it's many?i dont know it's like what you gonna install
virtual-pc:good software!easy 2 use working good
but it's support only in windows os
so you need to install windows on your server
vmware:
i like this software !,easy 2 uses,but working slow with xen & xorg
but i say now that it's the best software 2 use
i try the 3 softwares now and i juse enjoy from vmware

man listen..:
i try to explain you and 2 give the best software for your server
it's take alot of ram {100-80 MB}
i you install server edition it's good
but use the good software for your server to keep your ram !!

it's hard to explain
there is some "stigma" or "proverb "
"one picture equals 1000 words"

1.Xen & Xorg installed by me idont know why i did it
but i remove that
2.Vmware it's not needed a high knowledge.you can learn just download the truial for to learn all about vmware
3. for what if see {at least) all the hosting-server are using vmware,

note: i have not read the complete post if this point is allready addressed.

but my experiance with running DA completely virtual is nice and good for a start.. BUT performance performance performance.. i work at client that have bigtime Storage area networks behind their virtualisation enviroments.
and then with high loads things still get tricky if yo run a lot of those VM's

coming back to the level i did it was with vmware server. in the end when getting 180+ users on the system all started to become slow. storage stalled cpu was not enough etc etc.

thinking points: (and i can only give them of vmware for software)

* cpu overhead is 10-20% (<10% with esx an payed productgs and 20% average with the free vmware server products
* slow storage i losts a lot of MB per/sec when doing my testings compared to a static server
* caching in vmware, even if you specify in vmware that the disks should write instantly , then still your operating system cahces a lot of data in memory that is not commited to disk when you server should have a power loss. potential a big disaster depending how you setup things.
* CPU usage is in vmware limited by core and you cn only grant two max i found this also gavving never the responce it does when things got big.

and on the other hand a clean DA install with backups properly setup to another disk. is a clean way and also a fast way to do a restore

if you do choose vmware server to start up seriously i would look at esx or the other products. and if you do then please do not choose freebsd as your system then, because resizing your partitions in there is hell. :D and resizing storage within a vmware enviroment is one of the benefits i guess one want to abuse :D

(sorry for the freebsd community i ran it long time within vmware. was soo dissapointed. spend too many hours of work to get it done in 6.3 ) in the end it was doable.. but too big of an hassle compared to another system (dunno if 7.x has it worked out but still by that time it was too late ;)

virtualisation bottemline

* startup and test = yes
* too many clients on system means a bigger box and fast storage and possible ESX and variants.
* to get the most out of your system = run DA on the local box and run vmware ontop for VPS :D

Last edited:
Back