exim.conf updates and Dovecot's Sieve functionality

youds

Verified User
Two problems

1) exim.conf automatic updates - great idea, except it goes and overwrites the SpamAssassin code block (defaults to being commented out) on each update; besides not updating, whats the best way to update exim.conf and not disable SpamAssassin checks in the process?
This question refers too: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=36

2) Dovecot doesn't install with the Sieve functionality using custombuild and I can see no way of enabling it - this means setting emails as "Read" using the SEEN-Flag using Dovecot's Deliver and Sieve functionality --- so how would you mark emails as "Read" on the server when delivering Spam emails; this obviously would make sense, as nobody wants to know how many spam emails they have unread.

Many thanks - a great service you offer.

When does exim.conf auto update?

I also set my exim.conf and exim.pl to immutable since they never should need changes. I have no clue what number 2 is about lol.

Well maybe they can add the number 2 idea. As far as number 1 you shouldnt need to update exim all that often and it is a good idea to keep a backup of your exim.conf and exim.pl. One of the reasons I changed my exim.conf and exim.pl to immutable is because the rare times I did update exim it did get overwritten.

Well maybe they can add the number 2 idea. As far as number 1 you shouldnt need to update exim all that often and it is a good idea to keep a backup of your exim.conf and exim.pl. One of the reasons I changed my exim.conf and exim.pl to immutable is because the rare times I did update exim it did get overwritten.

Yes I've disabled it for now. Thanks for your comments.

I'm struggling to see how this would be achieved under the custom setup, I'm not even sure what is actually delivering the mail and/or whether or not DC is the mail delivery agent, any advice appreciated.

Hello,

I can't quite see a huge need for that plugin at this time, but if you need to recompile dovecot in any special way, you'd have to edit the build script. Find the "doDovecot()" function and change this line to show whatever you need:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --without-gssapi
Then run "./build dovecot" to compile it with those settings.

John

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any information on how to have the default system perform the "Mark as read" function from in exim.conf? Is this even possible?

Many thanks

Hello,

Sorry, no. I'm not farmiliar with that option. You'll likely need to google around to figure that out.

John

maildir_tag is what is needed, if I add maildir_tag too appendfile transport ("virtual_localdelivery") then i can successfully set various message flags. However with the spamcheck transport pipe (which runs a check on the mail) this setting is not available. So the question is, how to use two transport filters on the spamcheck router? Or could I do this another way? I feel I'm missing something obvious.

Many thanks

youds, if you figure it out let me know; perhaps we can include it in the default exim.conf file.

Jeff

So far, I've determined:
- Yes it is possible to mark an email as read in exim.conf using Maildir format
- But not the with the transport that delivers emails to virtual mailboxes

I'm looking for a conditional router that can pass to a transport which uses appendfile; at the moment with the default action being mail delivers to spambox this is a real problem for me but everything works without it and as the system is new there is no rush for me - so hopefully the solution will become clearer soon.

Luckily, it doesn't appear that any load will be added to the server by doing this, as SpamAssassin itself sends emails back through exim.conf; so the action of doubling work load already takes place when spamassassin is enabled. It's now just a case of filtering those that are spam to a different transporter in order to use appendfile (and hence maildir_tag) ...

The file in its default state can be found below, obviously the spamassassin router needs to be uncommented:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/exim.conf

Back