Force external delivery for some domains

Dacira

Verified User
Recently we bought a hardware spam filter (Ironport), and it really works great.

We now have some users of it, and some users with a lot of domains, but they forward mail to their main domain.

For example:

- www.domain1.com is filtered by ironport, and after filtering, it will be delivered to directadmin.
- [email protected] is a forwarder to: [email protected]. But exim qualifies it as a local domain, and deliveres it locally. So no spam filtering is done.

Of course we want to check the mail of that forwarder to, how can we solve this?

I'm not sure if this will work or not:

Make sure that DNS control is turned on for domain1.

In the domain1 control panel click on MX Records

There, make sure that Local Mail Server is unchecked, and click on save.

Test carefully to make sure that mail for domain1 is still deliverable to the final mailboxes.

If this doesn't work then custom changes to exim.conf can resolve the issue, but figuring out exactly what and how is well beyond the scope of a simple fourm response. :)

Why don't you handle mail for domain2 on the IronPort box as well?

Jeff

If that would work i really didn't ask. Came up with a lot of idears, and nothing worked. When i uncheck that, mail isn't processed anymore.
Thanks anyway!
We don't add the other domain to the ironport because of the expensive license fees of Ironport.

I also tried to paste in exim.conf below check_recipient:

Code:
eny domains = lsearch;/etc/virtual/domains_external
			condition = "${if and { \
						{eq {$interface_port}{25}} \
                        {!eq {$sender_host_address}{lsearch;/etc/virtual/allowed_ips}} \
			} {1}{0}}"
			message	= You are not authorized to use this server
			!authenticated = *

But that didn't work too. (Credits to getUP @ Webhostingtalk.nl).

Of course i created and filled the 2 files mentioned above.

Last edited:
I didn't think it would work, but I thought it was worth a try.

Doing what you want to do will require customizations of exim.conf. If you ever update exim.conf, then you'd have to reinstall those customizations.

Jeff

I understand that, it's driving me nuts.
Do you have the experience to fix this issue?
Yes. We're a third-party DirectAdmin support company. We'd be happy to create a customized exim.conf file including the latest features we currently have in beta.

However a custom exim.conf file is not automatically updated when exim.conf is updated. Since exim.conf is not currently automatically updated by DirectAdmin, your customization should be safe, and we'd document our customizations so you could add our customizations to any future update as long as the main structure of exim.conf doesn't change.

If you'd like a quote for our commercial solution please feel free to contact me at the email address in my sig. Note that we answer emails more quickly than we answer either private or public forum messages.

Jeff

Back