What's taking so long for FreeBSD 7 ?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html

As of yesterday FreeBSD is not supporting 7.0. That means no more security updates. DA has really dropped the ball with it's BSD support imho. Today I am upgrading to 7.1 branch and I hope all goes well but if I need to fight to get it all working so be it. I still want the 64-bit BSD version too. I can't stand having to run the 32 bit binaries on a quad-core. It's ridiculous.

Spooky. I started with the raq2 as well. Cobalt made imho some impressive machines. At least until Sun bought them and destroyed the low-end server market in one purchase. That has always annoyed me.

I then ran Plesk a few years. Eventually they also moved up in pricing and to be honest I was never that happy with Plesk. They also were bought and that's when their pricing got high.

Then I went FreeBSD around 4.11 I think. Been there ever since. I used webmin for a short time but really it wasn't suitable for my needs. I could probably deal with webmin now but of course I have a lifetime license for DA. So as long as DA supports the latest version of BSD I will use it. It doesn't look however this is going to be true much longer at this rate.

I agree but realistically I doubt DA will bother. To me an even better solution would be a similar commercial package that was dedicated to FreeBSD. DA isn't cutting it and neither is Webmin.

All you do is complain.

All you do is complain.

I don't see it as "complaining" - he's looking for user and script author feedback on a legitimate question. We could have inserted any OS into this question, it'd still be legitimate.

I don't use BSD - except on a couple of boxes we manage for other customers, personally, I don't like it - but it does have a large following and because someone is persistent in obtaining answers to valid questions shouldn't label them as a "complainer".

Remember, we're all here working together. Directadmin is arguably the best control panel on the market (IMHO) - but if we want it to succeed, we all need to band together and work for it's growth and stability. IMHO, bashing another user for asking questions is counterproductive.

All you do is complain.

I am not here to be a DA cheerleader or to coddle members opinions.

If it makes you feel any better I am overall very happy with DA. I don't think it's too much to ask that a software listing FreeBSD support keep up with the latest versions.

DA is giving us two choices. Either run outdated versions or suffer trying to upgrade and deal with problems without their support. DA has had the time to update itself for 7.x which is still listed as beta and now 7.1 is out. Their 7.0 beta is dead now since it's a non-supported branch by FreeBSD.

I will say I updated my server to 7.1 yesterday and I didn't have a single issue with DA. Is that a positive enough comment for you? However I did spend some time getting it working right on 7.0. The upgrade using freebsd-update was fairly painless except for a kernel rebuild to Generic and then back to my custom. DA though just started right up along with all services. I was actually pretty surprised and very pleased. Let's see what happens though on next build or update of a port. :D

I will say I updated my server to 7.1 yesterday and I didn't have a single issue with DA.

So basically your comment about DA making you use outdated software has no merit since according to you it works just fine on 7.1.

As I said though...I spent a lot of time getting it to work on 7.0. I have to assume the changes I made for that allowed it to work well on 7.1.

Will it work..yeah it will. Will I get support...no...I won't. There are about 60 posts in this 7.0 section and only one by DA support telling us Zend Optimizer won't work. As stated..they have had a year to work on getting 7x version out of beta and haven't. Really I don't see why it should take that long. Maybe the 64-bit version would take time to create properly and bug fix but the 32 bit version should have been busted out months ago.

Also what's their plan? What's their timeframes? We have zero information. I expect that kind of thing from a free open source project not from a paid software. I shelled out the full $300 for DA Lifetime. I didn't get it repackaged or from a reseller. I paid full price. Is it so much to ask that DA keep up to date with FreeBSD versions? Is it so much to ask that DA inform us of the progress they are making on creating the branch?

I almost get the feeling that they won't ever support 7x and will just drop FreeBSD.

I want to keep using DA. I like it. It's overall been a good experience for me. So of course I am unhappy when I am updating to latest version and pretty much my support is gone for it in exchange. I offered to be a beta tester for a 64-bit 7x version but seems they haven't really started it yet.

I am not here to attack DA. But I will criticize it's policies especially ones that effect me.

I shelled out the full $300 for DA Lifetime. I didn't get it repackaged or from a reseller. I paid full price. Is it so much to ask that DA keep up to date with FreeBSD versions?

I don't know. But I do know a $300 lifetime license with absolutely no support from DA is still a lot better than 1 year of Cpanel. If you want to start putting a price tag on things then my opinion is that given the choices out there you still got the best deal.

I don't know. But I do know a $300 lifetime license with absolutely no support from DA is still a lot better than 1 year of Cpanel. If you want to start putting a price tag on things then my opinion is that given the choices out there you still got the best deal.

Wow. Aside from the cpanel comment, I don't agree with you on that point. (cpanel sucks).

I don't care if someone paid $5 for it, it was sold as supported, commercial software. If they can't support it or if their development tree isn't branching out in this direction any longer, they (da) should provide a different avenue for clients that purchased this product (labeled lifetime). I understand it says "beta" - but there's some responsibility here that needs to be addressed by DA, IMHO.

As I said, I don't use FreeBSD, or anything other than CENT/RHEL (no, not even windows) - but if I had purchased X lifetime licenses for Cent, and they suddenly dropped development of it, I'd be a little pissed too.

Without support I would just use Webmin. I almost switched on my new server. If the 7.x didn't work out for me then that was my second choice. I won't use Cpanel. If I needed to...I wouldn't use a panel. I am not reselling. I use DA for simple control of my server. I do 90% of everything via SSH already. Adding new domains and email accounts is just simpler with DA but Webmin isn't far behind for ease of use.

Have you seen webmin lately?

As I said, I don't use FreeBSD, or anything other than CENT/RHEL (no, not even windows) - but if I had purchased X lifetime licenses for Cent, and they suddenly dropped development of it, I'd be a little pissed too.

Exactly. You can see a lot of BSD users not very happy at current situation. DA knows we won't switch from BSD. I been using it before there was a CENT OS. I would drop DA before dropping BSD. And that's the corner they are pushing some of us towards.

Last edited:
I don't care if someone paid $5 for it, it was sold as supported, commercial software.

I am just saying even without support $300 is still a good price and I know knowing what I know now about DA I would have paid $300 if support was not included. I have been using DA for almost 4 years and have 71 lifetime licenses. I don't think I have ever emailed them for support. But I am also using the system that DA is built on.

Have you seen webmin lately?

Yes I use it all the time alongside DA. Great for admins, not so great for end users. If I did not have other end users I would just use webmin.

but if I had purchased X lifetime licenses for Cent, and they suddenly dropped development of it

I know your opinion will be different but here is another viewpoint to consider. The license for DA is for the lifetime of DA not for a particular OS.

What if the OS goes out of business? The license you have for DA is still valid. You just have to use another OS with it.

If you want to say that the license is for DA on a prticular OS then that would mean that if you wanted to use another OS you would have to purchase another license. You would not be able to transfer the license to another OS.

But hey, I don't use FreeBSD. I really don't care. I don't even know why I am here in this thread.

Yes I use it all the time alongside DA. Great for admins, not so great for end users. If I did not have other end users I would just use webmin.

That's my current position as an admin only. I am kicking off all my clients. They are just not worth my time to be honest. Most are friends though that didn't pay me much to begin with.

I am just saying even without support $300 is still a good price and I know knowing what I know now about DA

It is a good price but let's say I wanted to run a second license. As DA is right now with their BSD support I wouldn't choose to use it. It's a great value for many new admins or people that want to do reselling. I am not in that position.

What if the OS goes out of business?

FreeBSD has not gone out of business. They have kept a good pace of development even. DA should keep up. It was their decision to support FreeBSD.

Bah...gonna try and get some work done. Moving some sites to new server today.

Bye guys.

FreeBSD has not gone out of business. They have kept a good pace of development even. DA should keep up. It was their decision to support FreeBSD.

I am not saying they did or ever will. I am commenting about all OS's.

Is the lifetime license for DA on a particular OS? No. Do they have to continue to support FreeBSD just because somebody bought a lifetime license? No. The license is still valid. But that is how I am reading it. Maybe we should get a comment from DA staff.

I am not saying they did or ever will. I am commenting about all OS's.

Is the lifetime license for DA on a particular OS? No. Do they have to continue to support FreeBSD just because somebody bought a lifetime license? No. The license is still valid. But that is how I am reading it. Maybe we should get a comment from DA staff.
Wow man you are completely not right. Directadmin supports the releases, I mean if they release version 6.0 that means there won't be any changes which will break compatability in further releases, that's why DA supports 6.x, now for the 7th branch they still got it in beta, however why the hell it would be beta? all they need to fix is port installing everything else works ok (well 64bit is not completely all right but okay...).

Wow man you are completely not right.

Interesting. You tell me I am not right but then don't comment on anything I said. The license if for DA. It is not for a particular OS.

Wow man you are completely not right. Directadmin supports the releases, I mean if they release version 6.0 that means there won't be any changes which will break compatability in further releases, that's why DA supports 6.x, now for the 7th branch they still got it in beta, however why the hell it would be beta? all they need to fix is port installing everything else works ok (well 64bit is not completely all right but okay...).

Its in beta because they are still testing its functionality. Dont worry about it it works fine I guess. There is also no reason you cannot install everything via ports on your own.

Its in beta because they are still testing its functionality. Dont worry about it it works fine I guess. There is also no reason you cannot install everything via ports on your own.
sure, if DA could allow a clean install...

For me, the Holy Grail would be a FreeBSD 64-bit version of DA which works *with* the ports system rather than against it :)
I'm not sure what will happen with DA regarding ports. What I do know is that cPanel did a full rewrite, or so they say, on FreeBSD and their statement said use FreeBSD only if you know what you are doing, and the ONLY supported method of updating cPanel under FreeBSD is if you DO use ports. I haven't worked with cPanel lately but from I've heard, it now works well and is not fragile. I haven't tried Plesk lately although it's free for one domain and one e-mail. I'm not big fan of qMail.

But custombuild is the one that installs everything why cant it just be updated to use the freebsd ports? I doubt anything with directadmin would have to change besides that.

But custombuild is the one that installs everything why cant it just be updated to use the freebsd ports? I doubt anything with directadmin would have to change besides that.
I'm with you. I don't know how DA's install works but according to cPanel, switching to ports for everything solved their BSD problems. The posts by some of the users confirm that. Ports and PortSnap are the way to go for us.

So far things working good for us with 7. I'm working on 7.1, that's why I'm visiting this thread. I'm not going to get my shorts in a bunch until I run into problems.

I doubt anybody ends up on FreeBSD without getting dragged there kicking and screaming. Because of that the conversion ratio from FreeBSD to Linux for a control panel will be about zero because the possibility doesn't even exist for those people. Linux is where they came from. They tried long and hard to stay there, but couldn't.

I doubt anybody ends up on FreeBSD without getting dragged there kicking and screaming.
Personally, I was delighted to move to FreeBSD. I find it to be a far more stable experience and far more pleasant to work with than my previous experiences with Debian and various RedHat clones.

Not trying to win any converts here, but just to make the point: I think there *are* a lot of converts who came to FreeBSD from a Linux background and never looked back. I'm one of 'em.

Now if only DA would give FreeBSD the first class treatment it deserves... :)

Back