/dev/sda1 missing

BEGIN: Running /scripts/init=premount ACPI:CPU0
/scripts/init-premount/udev: /scripts/init-premount.udev:17:udevd: not found
BEGIN: Waiting for root file system ...
{take some time here to go forward}
DONE:
Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline or missing module, devices:
cat /proc/modules ls /dev

ALERT: /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to shell!
BusyBox v.1.1.3 (Deb 1:1.1.3-4) shell (ash)

sitting in colo now... hmmm help:confused:

hmmm so .... at this moment I started the system from live ubuntu cd, and I have vnc access to it.... as I did my backup, but did not copy it over... that is what I am going to do now.... copy it if I can...

if you have an idea, about how to save the day .... I will be glad to hear the solution :)
If someone I know already here(and helped me in the past) wants to look directly into server thru vnc/ssh then let me know. (smtalk?:rolleyes:)

PS
The worst case: reinstall OS and try to recover from the backup... and the funny part is ... I know my DA sent me an email saying that server backup kind of failed.... but it still managed to create huge backup file... hmm so I don't remember exactly what failed but ... I hope I will be able to import it back.

BTW: I never did that but .... my colo tech said that I can boot of live cd, mount the host partitions so you would cheat the live OS that those are its files, folders, and use chroot... as i never done that before I am not sure even if the way I say it makes sense :) ... so once in the mode.... I could use apt-get to install the thing I am missing.... udevd

I have never done it in debian before but I have with CentOS. I boot from a rescue CD and then chroot to the image that is mounted. I then start mysql and then

Code:
echo “action=backup&local_path=/home/admin/admin_backups&owner=admin&type=admin&value=multiple&when=now&where=local&who=all” >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq &

This should make fresh DA backups.

If you think there is an error in the mysql backups you can run mysqlcheck first.

However you might want to try to copy as much stuff as you can also. Manually tar the home directory and mysql databases.

First question:
How do you do that part:
"I boot from a rescue CD and then chroot to the image that is mounted. I then start mysql"

:) ahh sorry :) chroot to the local system ... and hmmm while we here then... you just start services and those willl normaly run?

When I boot from a rescue CD it automatically mounts the root partition to /mnt/sysimage Then I just "chroot /mnt/sysimage" At that point I am running the system as if I have logged into a normally running system except none of the services have been started yet. I can then start the things that need to be started. Normally I just need to start mysql so that the databases can be backed up. I write the stuff to the taskq file and run the taskq manually.

Again this is for redhat based system. I have no experience with debian.

do you think I should be able to run in this mode something like this: apt-get install udev ?(astually I am not sure if this package exist :) but that is what system complains about)

Back