Slow apache and errors about ap_content_length_filter

yorn

Verified User
I just set up a server from cratch. Usually I use fedora, but in this case I had to use CentOS because the datacenter didn't offer fedora as pre-installed option.
DirectAdmin was already pre-installed, but I ran custombuild 1.1 rightaway. I chose to install PHP as CGI rather than CLI, which is what I always do.
Now everything works, but webpages load extremely slow, even though the internet connection is fast enough and the serverload approaches zero.

From fiddling with telnet, I found out that not requesting the page with compression drastically speeds up the load, but it's still slow, still takes about 3 seconds per file I estimate. When I request a page using curl, I get the HTML instantly. Though, curl does not terminate when the </html> tag has passed, so the server keeps the connection open, but with no content-length header sent, the client doesn't know the content has actually ended and waits for the server to disconnect.

I opened up the Apache logs, and every time a request is done, a couple seconds later, an entry appears in the error log:
Code:
[[B]<date>[/B]] [error] [client [B]<client IP>[/B]] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read() failed, referer: [B]<full requested URL>[/B]

I searched the web and this forum for both ap_content_length_filter and apr_bucket_read(), but no success here, and on the web I found this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00448.html
which explains to me why this is the first time this occurred to me, since I use CentOS now.

I already tried creating empty files /usr/local/apache/etc/srm.conf and /usr/local/apache/etc/access.conf, but that didn't help. About the custom compile config, I didn't know how to do that with custombuild.

Back