e-mail outgoing limit

fmen

Verified User
Hello
I was wondering if it is possible to limit the outgoing e-mails per e-mail POP box account and not per DA account???

The problem is that pop box accounts do not have anything to do with the outgoing emails. pop box accounts do not send out emails. pop boxes receive emails.

The mail still has to pass through the smtp server I wouldnt see why it coulndt work.

Mail sent via a php script using the mail command will get sent as user apache. The script is not communicating via SMTP.

I was just thinking from a spammers point of view (no, I'm not one lol).... Thus this way, they will get arround the said limits.

Mail sent via a php script using the mail command will get sent as user apache. The script is not communicating via SMTP.

Strange I would thought it would require mta to send the mail out.

Then why do a lot of scripts give you a choice between the mail command and SMTP? There must be a difference.

Not if you're using suPHP. If you're using suPHP mail will get sent by the user.

Jeff

Then why do a lot of scripts give you a choice between the mail command and SMTP? There must be a difference.
The mail command (usually called the sendmail command) calls the the sendmail link to exim. Sending mail via smtp connects to localhost on port 25.

Jeff

And...

I believe that DirectAdmin now by default, when PHP sends an email, it adds a header with the username.

Which means, of course, that you probably can set up something in exim.pl to create a limit.

Not something I'm playing with at this time, though.

Easier (for me, anyway) to grep logs.

Jeff

Back