About time .. tried, have first issue

prodiac

Verified User
So I was just going to reinstall a FreeBSD 7.1 64-bit server, we do a custom install that sets up everything to work with 32bit support on the 64bit OS.

So I changed this license to 64-bit, and start the install. Here's what it says:

rawr# sh setup.sh
*** 64-bit OS ***
*** that being said, this should be a FreeBSD 7 system. ***

So I enter the license info, and the rest of the info, then see:
DirectAdmin will now be installed on: FreeBSD 7.1
Is this correct? (must match license) (y,n) : y

I am noticing it does't say 64-bit here, and wonder if what's where the problem is. Maybe it's trying to download the 32bit install.

It denies downloading the update package, says the info isn't matching the license.

I'm probably a little premature in trying this alpha mode install since there's no official posts about it, but figured I'd go ahead and list the first problem I see :)

Got a response from support, problem already solved it was an issue on their end. Install went perfect.

So I changed this license to 64-bit, and start the install.
Perhaps you can explain to us how you did that. I see no provision for making your own changes to the license. Moreover neither FreeBSD 7.1 nor 64 bit are available, beta or otherwise, http://www.directadmin.com/install.html

Got a response from support, problem already solved it was an issue on their end. Install went perfect.
So the install went fine? Your binaries are also 64 bit?

Why wouldn't DirectAdmin talking about this? Such a capability would be a door opener for their product, and damage control for their customer base who has been disparate for FreeBSD 64 support for a long time.

Last edited:
FreeBSD 7.1 64-bit "ALPHA" has been in the license OS dropdown for a while now (about a week). Since it's in alpha, it's not yet tested, so not production safe yet. Since it's a brand new line, we're starting slow with it, no huge announcements as we dont want a flood of people using something that has potential issues (I only put "beta" in install.html, not "alpha"). The OS is there if anyone wants to try it though ;)

John

Any updates on 64-bit support? Are we safe in moving to it yet or should we hold off?

Are there any guides for moving from 32-bit FreeBSD 6 to 64-bit 7 and keeping DA?

I will only say this:
- I've been using it for quite awhile and on production machines with both 7.1 and 7.2. It runs rock solid.
- You need to be very careful with install. The procedures you used for the 32 bit version will absolutely murder you 64 bit install. I wrote a How To where you can cut and paste your way to a 7.2 64 bit server.
- FreeBSD 8 will be out this month. I'm waiting to do more roll-outs until that comes out. With 8, I'll be happy for a long time. It comes with solid ZFS support, which means it will efficiently use disk space, and growth and redundancy is simple. It is a massive paradigm shift for disk management.

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't set up another 32 bit machine which can only efficiently work with 3.25 gigs of RAM. That's no a match for machines built in the past year or two nor the new features of FreeBSD.

Back