Directadmin - Falling behind?

So what? That is not a valid reason for DA to not use Smarty.

My reason is just as valid as anybody else's.

Just because somebody else cannot keep up with the current templating system is not a reason TO start using Smarty.

Changing to using something else just because you can is not always a good idea.

WHMCS uses Smarty and I find it very difficult to make any changes in the templates.

I don't see smarty for a control panel as a good idea, but definitely the current skining system is VERY poor. I developed Marina and Capri skin, since 2005) and i can say that is is very hard and complicated to add new features to the skin. Also, not all APIs are available to make custom panel.

Walo + DA = Good?

Your skins are quite a bit nicer than the Basic DA and more intuitive for the user.... however, I have held off using as the forums indicate slow response from your company, and I sent an email from your site that was never answered....
If a partnership with DA was worked out where the skins were "synced" with the version release, this would be a great thing... that way there would be no lag between DA releases and the skins functions.
I believe as a profit based company, I need to make decisions based on income, What the non tech user does not know does not effect them (to a degree) most things like the forum, and other things to support us, the DA license holders are not something that will change our profitability.
I find DA like any control panel, requires a learning period, and the greatest thing about DA is this period seems to be very short for my users... even with outdated skins!

beyond the skin, i like DA, just worry about its future.

WHMCS uses Smarty and I find it very difficult to make any changes in the templates.
I used to look for Smarty in apps until we got an update to a line-of-business application that went to it. Smarty complicates my life beyond measure.

I fail to see how important look and feel is to overall system functionality and stability. This has been said before in this thread.

If I compare DA to another panel: One thing that annoys me about Plesk, is that it has a stupid "Loading" thing everytime you click on something - and the pages take forever to load - even on Quad Core Xeon servers. You never get problems like this with DA. And I can never find anything in Plesk ... it's not well organised - neither is Cpanel.

I would prefer DA to spend more of their time building in better anti-spam features (for example). I also think that their documentation for the user needs some updating. I was looking in there the other day for information about Mailing Lists - and found next to nothing.

I have never heard a client complain about the design of the panel. I have only ever had one Web Designer say "we're used to working with Cpanel" - and guess where they ended up?

I personally think John (and the DA team) are fairly busy with other priorities. Although, I don't see how a quick "your comments have been duly noted" couldn't hurt their busy schedule.

I moved from Plesk to DirectAdmin years ago because of the grief I had with Plesk's convoluted everything. Once the move was complete my life settled down and has been great ever since I moved to DirectAdmin.

I just inherited 6 Plesk servers with about a 1000 clients on it and although Plesk is pretty it quickly reminded me why I ran away so fast in the past. What a nightmare. It is as if I am reliving some post war stress syndrome hallucination - all of the horror is coming back to me again.

I guess some people just don't know how good they have it with DirectAdmin. I commend John and his team for resisting the urge to add useless visual noise and for keeping their focus on rock solid functionality that is the fastest out there. Web hosting is not about boys and their toys - it is about running profitable businesses with minimal effort, labor and expense - DirectAdmin does it best. Add WHMCS to the mix and you have a solution that others only dream about.

I just polled all my customers to see who would be interested in switching to Cpanel. Result = .5%. Not 5% but .5%.

I am still going to add Cpanel to our service as an option because I feel their will be enough interest to make it worth it. But the responses I got were that Cpanel was complicated, had a bunch of useless functions, DirectAdmin's simplicity is what what brought them to us in the first place.

I say if you want DirectAdmin to be more like Cpanel or any of the others then then set up a server to use them. Add them to your service. Nobody says you have to use just one control panel. But I can guarantee you that in general DirectAdmin users do not want a Cpanel like control panel.

I agree,

The purpose of this thread was to enlighten Directadmin to create a new skin, and they are working on it.

I wouldn't mind if the staff wanted to close this thread, but I also don't mind if people still have the need to express their thoughts.

I would like to thank everyone for participating, in any case, and I would also like to thank John and company for listening to all of us.

Viva Directadmin !!

http://www.outservices.net/marina.php << here is a nice skin. :D

Personally, DirectAdmin should just buy out the rights to the marina skin... All my customers love it, clean, easy... the best.

the marina skin

I can see why people like it. For me its too much to look at all at once. Its hard for me to find what I am looking for because of all the other distracting links and images. That is why I do not CPanel. I am a little ADD

I can see why people like it. For me its too much to look at all at once. Its hard for me to find what I am looking for because of all the other distracting links and images. That is why I do not CPanel. I am a little ADD

If that is the case then use power_user it sorta looking like the ensim control panel.

That is what originally brought me to DirectAdmin. I used an Ensim CP when I hosted at ThePlanet.com, and the familiarity with Ensim and the power_user a comfortable transition.

:D

BTW, have you looked here? http://www.cpskins.com/directadmin-skins/ Concise DirectAdmin Skin may be what your are looking for?

Last edited:
DA is the best. Have lots of servers now with it and it just works!!!

Good forum
Good support.
Very stable
Please no fancy stuff in the control panel. It only makes things buggy.

I have plesk on all my windows servers now for years. NIGHTMARE!!! Realy. No good supportforum, everything you post there is reviewed before visible so they are afraid of bad opinions in there forum. Realy... it is very bad!
Although it will cost me a lot of money and time I will be moving all windows servers to another hostingpanel.

I wish there was something like DA for windows...

DA is the best. Have lots of servers now with it and it just works!!!

Good forum
Good support.
Very stable
Please no fancy stuff in the control panel. It only makes things buggy.

I have plesk on all my windows servers now for years. NIGHTMARE!!! Realy. No good supportforum, everything you post there is reviewed before visible so they are afraid of bad opinions in there forum. Realy... it is very bad!
Although it will cost me a lot of money and time I will be moving all windows servers to another hostingpanel.

I wish there was something like DA for windows...

Yeah, agreed Plesk sucks, and when they took over Modernbill, it went to hell too. (I do have a 250 MB license if anyone wants to buy it cheap) ;)

DA & WHMCS works for me...

I think nearly all was said, but I want to express my opinion also.

DA needs to catch up others control panel. If some fears that new features will put in danger stability or simplicity, ok, so put then in third hands the responsability. Improve plugin method, get a new API system so we can get farming, google apps, etc. In that way, the DA client that doesn´t want new features can disable plugin and API features and that´s it. All happy.

The roadmap of DA is very poor right now, and we are, like costumers, no so happy for that.
Is not a good signal not to improve yourself because fear. Personally I think that is the motive of some DA users. My concern, worry, is guessing why DA owners are so quiet

Last edited:
Perhaps because most of us prefer simplicity, and a hosting panel to which we can add what we want, to something that includes everything. Don't forget if DirectAdmin includes everything the price will inevitably go up.

Jeff

If you want a Honda then you buy a Honda. If you want a Nissan then you buy a Nissan. It would be stupid to buy a Nissan and whine and complain about it not being like a Honda.

Realize that each control panel has its own set of features. Don't buy DirectAdmin and then complain about it not being like the others. Buy the control panel you really want to begin with. If DirectAdmin were like the others then there would be no reason for DirectAdmin to exist. The reason it exist is because of its differences.

Back