Exim and forwarding mail for a specific domain

JDiel

Verified User
Hi everybody,

I've got a customer who want to handle their own e-mail, they've got an Exchange 2007 server running in their office. The problem is, is that their ISP blocks port 25.

Now I was thinking, when I change their MX record to our mailserver and let our mailserver forward all messages to their public IP on, let's say, port 26.

I've tried this:

special:
driver = manualroute
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = the.particular.domain the.other.host:26

I also modified the ACL to accept mail for this domain. But this doesn't seem to work, does anyone know if this even wil work? I get the following messages in /var/log/exim/mainlog

2009-05-16 12:50:12 1M5HSu-0005rq-Dm <= [email protected] H=localhost (da) [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=247 T="Test #1" from <[email protected]> for [email protected]
2009-05-16 12:50:13 1M5HSu-0005rq-Dm lowest numbered MX record points to local host: customerdomain.tld
2009-05-16 12:50:13 1M5HSu-0005rq-Dm == [email protected] R=lookuphost defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host
2009-05-16 12:50:13 1M5HSu-0005rq-Dm Frozen

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Jeroen.

Last edited:
We are running a commercial frontend relay cluster which is capable of sending e-mail over alternative ports. If you want more information or need more help with your setup feel free to contact me.

In your routers, add the following:

Code:
customer_route:
        transport       = customer_smtp
        driver          = manualroute
        domains         = domain.com
        route_data      = 192.168.1.120

This will route all e-mails for domain.com to the transport customer_smtp.

Add the following to your transports:

Code:
customer_smtp:
        driver                  = smtp
        port                    = 26

Hi getUP,

Thanks for your reply! I've tried what you suggested, but I still get the message: "the lowest numbered MX record points to local host: <my domain.tld>" and after that, it says "Frozen"

I'm using Exim v4.68 - What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Jeroen

Exactly what the error shows. Without the real name of the domain it's not really easy to help you further, but look for the MX records in the domain zone file; none of them should point to your server. Have you made the changes in the "MX Records" link to the userlevel login?

Jeff

Back