Directadmin services install on three servers

Yolte

Verified User
Hello,

We want to install directadmin services on 3 servers for best performance.

Server 1: main system will run
Server 2: exim service will run and mailboxes on it
Server 3: mysql service will run and mysql tables on it

I think we have to install this configuration on first installation.

Or maybe a bash script can move mail and mysql service to remote server.

Can somebody write a 3rd party software for this?

We can pay for it.

Regards

Directadmin wasnt meant to run like that. It would be useless.

But directadmin John says that;

Hello,

You're welcome to setup the filesystem however you wish.
I cannot commet too much as we don't deal with hardware setups too much..
However it should be possible doing it on a live system... I would still recommend haveing the 3 drives installed, then install the OS.. and assign partitions to the specific drives from the very beginning.. before you put any data on the box.

For mysql, if you have an rpm based system (centos/fedora, etc).. put mysql in:
/var/lib/mysql

The exim in /var/spool/exim is a good idea

Thank you,

John

If we can do this on different hard disk, can do this on different remote servers too?

I don't know to what John was resonding, but I do know that DirectAdmin wasn't designed to work across multiple servers.

(John's email appears to be responding to a question about partitions on on server; perhape he misunderstood your original question.)

There are no tools in DirectAdmin to manage either mailboxes, mysql, or general accounts on a separate server.

And there's no documentation on how to do it because DirectAdmin is a closed-source c++ program.

The only control panel I know of built for this kind of setup is H-Sphere.

(This is NOT a recommendation for H-Sphere.)

Jeff

Actually it's pretty easy to do this.
Plus I think DirectAdmin can be used in any way. You will need some Linux knowledge, plus you need to know that you will have a lack of productivity, cause databases will run over the network, so this is not so fast.
You will also need to read about mounting filesystems over the network using NFS.

Or you can find a SysAdmin that will charge you 40$/hour and will make everything smooth, but again, think double before separating everything on a unclustered enviroment.

I don't know to what John was resonding, but I do know that DirectAdmin wasn't designed to work across multiple servers.

(John's email appears to be responding to a question about partitions on on server; perhape he misunderstood your original question.)

There are no tools in DirectAdmin to manage either mailboxes, mysql, or general accounts on a separate server.

And there's no documentation on how to do it because DirectAdmin is a closed-source c++ program.

The only control panel I know of built for this kind of setup is H-Sphere.

(This is NOT a recommendation for H-Sphere.)

Jeff

I'm just thinking, if we can install DA on 3 servers;

mount /var/spool/exim to second server
mount /home/mysql to third server

And make some changes on master server's file system.

Or you can find a SysAdmin that will charge you 40$/hour and will make everything smooth, but again, think double before separating everything on a unclustered enviroment.

Do you know any SysAdmin can make this and registered in this forum?

Well, we charge a bit over 3x that $40 quote; I recommend you ask the poster whom he uses at that price :).

That said, the recommendation is that you mount most of your file system using NFS and then somehow run DirectAdmin on all three servers. Because DirectAdmin is a closed-source C++ solution, and not a series of scripts, it's not as easy as you'd think to separate services. It might be possible. I'm not willing to take the time to figure it out myself, and frankly, I'm not willing to guarantee it can be done (easily or not).

Note that /var/spool/exim only contains the queue; it doesn't include local mailboxes.

MySQL can probably be managed this way, with the caveat that you'd have to make sure every database knows it's running on a different server and every database would have to be set to be addressable across a network. MySQL databases in DirectAdmin are NOT in the /home diretory tree.

Since all servers will be running on the same file system, I'm not sure this will save much in the way of server resources; most things a hosting server does are more impacted by internal and external I/O than by processor use.

And of course you'd need a separate DirectAdmin license for each of the servers.

I can query my staff to see if we have the time to do a feasibility study, but we'd charge quite a bit for the study, as it would take some time to analyze, to implement, and to test. If you're interested in discussing this further with us; please send an email; my email address is in my sig. Otherwise if i don't hear from you, I'll just sit back and see if others continue further with the thread.

Jeff

Mail can be offloaded to another server, fairly easily (with one caveat). MySQL isn't that easy, and hardly worth the performance degradation you'd suffer.

The caveat with mail is, so far, Exim/DA tries to deliver mail to localhost FIRST ... if domain A sends mail to domain B - and they're both on the same server (think resellers) - but a separate server runs mail "normally" - it's likely to get fubar'd - / - lost in the transfer. That's about the only bug I've run into. I'm still looking for a way to cure this issue.

maybe we can use second server for exim.

Is there anyway to run and manage exim on second server?

For best I/O performance, mounting /var/spool/exim to second disk enough? Or can we install exim or another directadmin system to second server and connect it?

The caveat with mail is, so far, Exim/DA tries to deliver mail to localhost FIRST ... if domain A sends mail to domain B - and they're both on the same server (think resellers) - but a separate server runs mail "normally" - it's likely to get fubar'd - / - lost in the transfer. That's about the only bug I've run into. I'm still looking for a way to cure this issue.

Empty the /etc/virtual/domains folder. Make sure all the MX records point to the other server.

There are plenty of other problems though. You would be better off buying a high performance server and run everything from the one server.

Mail can be offloaded to another server, fairly easily (with one caveat). MySQL isn't that easy, and hardly worth the performance degradation you'd suffer.

Can we get a bit more detail on how to accomplish this?
Are you using NFS and still running Exim on the "web" box but have a router to re-direct mail to the "mail" server?

DirectAdmin does a local delivery if the domain name is listed in /etc/virtual/domains (controlled by that X option in MX Records in the control panel), and otherwise uses the contents of the MX record to deliver email.

Jeff

Back