Mail Queue Administration

MikeVrind

Verified User
Could someone give me some more information about what the Mail Queue Administration is?
I don't really understand what this is for. On site-helper.com there isn't any information about this.

And what do the buttons in the MQA mean? (Thaw, freeze, retry and bounce?)
I understand the delete button :p

Exim uses the mailqueue to temporary store emails which for some reason cannot be delivered.

Mail Queue Administration allows you to manage email in the queue, awaiting further delivery attempts.

bounce: report email back to the sender as undeliverable. In today's email environment this is almost never a good idea; much undeliverable email is spam and would be bounced back to an innocent bystander; you'd be producing collateral spam.

retry: try to deliver email. Exim will continue to retry email for an amount of time defined in your exim.conf file, but you can force a retry at any time.

freeze: once an email is frozen no further deliveries will be tried. But the email will remain in the queue for a period of time to allow you to study it to see why it may have been frozen.

thaw: unfreeze an email so it will be retried the next time exim tries again to deliver mail in the queue.

Generally you can leave the queue alone. Detailed information can be googled, or you can buy an Exim book. There's still lots of information on Exim3 available; make sure the resources you use are for Exim4.

Jeff

I'm currenlty testing a mailing-system wich i'm developing.
The bounces from these mailings must be send to a e-mail adres so I can read them from this system. Only the bounces aren't send to this adres but they are kept in this queue?

Back