Directadmin cron doesn't exists

MikeVrind

Verified User
Today I noticed that my server wouldn't reboot after executing a reboot command via directadmin.

So i thought, maybe the task.queue isn't being processed.
I opened up the task.queue file and it contained hundred of lines.

In the knowledge base I found a item called "The task.queue is not being processed", exactly what I needed.

But in step 2 they say:
chmod 644 /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron

But this file doesn't exists on my server, the cron.d folder is empty, it only containers a .placeholder file.
This is probly the cause of the problems with the task queue.
How can I restore this missing file??

Last edited:
Have you resolved this yet, Mike?

Make sure your server doesn't have the directadmin_cron anywhere else.
My file look like this (CentOS4.x):
Code:
* * * * * root /usr/local/directadmin/dataskq
2 0-23/6 * * * root echo 'action=vacation&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue;
#5 5 * * 0 root /sbin/quotaoff -a; /sbin/quotacheck -augm; /sbin/quotaon -a;
10 0 * * * root echo 'action=tally&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
20 4 1 * * root echo 'action=reset&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
0 4 * * * root echo 'action=check&value=license' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
My task.queue file is owned by root:root, and is chmod 600. I'm not sure why it has to be chmod 644.

Jeff

Hello,

Firstly, the reboot has nothing to do with crons or the task.queue.
A reboot executed from within DA goes straight to /sbin/reboot.
If reboot isn't working, it might be related to something else. Type /sbin/reboot manually as root to see what happens.

If you're running FreeBSD, then the DA crons will be in /etc/crontab. All other OS's will be in /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron. If you don't have that file, copy it from /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/directadmin_cron

The 644 value on the directadmin_cron doesn't matter as much as just ensuring that file actually runs. 600 might be just fine for this file. I believe it used to be 755 which cron didn't like, hence we told people to lower it.

Permissions on the task.queue itself (for it's brief existance before it's deleted every minute) doesn't really matter as it's read in by root.

John

Back