spamassassin setup fails

tazmanian

Verified User
after following the steps on http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=36

The second option (/usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m 15) allready gives out an error (see below)
It seems it want to bind on 127.0.0.1, in my opinion it needs to bind on a external Ip adres? right? how to set that up!

serv1:/usr/local/directadmin/scripts# /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m 15
[1967] warn: server socket setup failed, retry 1: spamd: could not create INET s ocket on 127.0.0.1:783: Cannot assign requested address
[1967] warn: server socket setup failed, retry 2: spamd: could not create INET s ocket on 127.0.0.1:783: Cannot assign requested address
[1967] error: spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Cannot assig n requested address
spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Cannot assign requested address

SpamAssassin definitely binds as shown; it does NOT bind to an external address.

Two posts now on this issue. What OS are you running?

Jeff

I don't run any Debian servers so off the top of my head I just don't know. My staff has Debian experience but it's up to them to respond or not.

Generally we only respond if we know the answer without having to do any research. We can resolve the problem as a commercial service, but hopefully someone else will respond. Otherwise you may want to contact DirectAdmin Support.

Jeff

tazmanian, don't know if you've already resolved the issue.

Regarding your problem, could you check if there's anything running on that port already? "netstat -lnp | grep 783" (probably a bit differend on debian) ?

As there are normaly 2 options why it can't bind:

- 783 is like they call a reserved port. Which means you need "root" access to bind. Make sure you run it as root.
- There is already something bound on that port.

127.0.0.1 is it's default binding. You only want to use spamd internally, as you mail proces runs locally on this machine.

Hopefull this can help you a bit further.

i think the problem is that the old spamd wont die.

same problem here:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:783 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2091/spamd child

how to properly restart spamd?

Back