Domain parking, use domain pointers with alias?

ditto

Verified User
I want to park some domains in DirectAdmin, I understand that this feature does not exist?

Is the closest thing to park a domain i DA to add a the domains as Domain Pointers?

I am not going to use email on these "parked" domains, I am just trying to park them.

Should I create the Domain Pointers as an Alias or not, and what is the difference?

After creating a Domain Pointer and I click on "Manage" under "DNS" from the Domain Pointer page, I see that there is setup MX records and all sort of stuff, I don't want that. Can I just delete the following records?:

ftp A **.***.***.***
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A **.***.***.***
pop A **.***.***.***
smtp A**.***.***.***
mail MX 10
domainname.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:**.***.***.*** ~all"

Should I create the Domain Pointers as an Alias or not, and what is the difference?

I found this: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=460 And that answer my quoted question.

But I am still doubtful whether or not to delete the DNS records listed in my first post? I don't want the domain pointer (parked domain) to use any unnecessary server resources. So, should I still delete these DNS records?

If you offer domain registration as a reseller of one of the big registrars and you don't want to use their parking but would rather automate your own, so you can collect money from the advertising :) you can do that as well; if enough people ask I'll publish a whitepaper. Note that it violates all the RFCs, but it works well.

Jeff

That's one :).

You need at least one completely separate nameserver; you can run it on a VPS but you need two IP#s. Still interested?

BTW, Thom, I just counted; I still have seven RaQ550s, five RaQ4s, four RaQ3s, and a RaQ1. Only one RaQ550 still in service, running CentOS4 and DirectAdmin.

Jeff

That's one :).

You need at least one completely separate nameserver; you can run it on a VPS but you need two IP#s. Still interested?
Hmmm, Guess I have to pass.....but if I can get access to another name server, I'll ask again....thanks.
jlasman said:
BTW, Thom, I just counted; I still have seven RaQ550s, five RaQ4s, four RaQ3s, and a RaQ1. Only one RaQ550 still in service, running CentOS4 and DirectAdmin.
I beieve my storage area has a RaQ4 buried somewhere....it was hiding when I had the last "bilge party".

Let me be clear, in case anyone else is interested:

You must have a completely separate nameserver which isn't being used for anything else. That's because you're going to create a zone like this:
Code:
*.com
and so forth for every tld for which you want to offer freeparking.

Any domains pointed to that nameserver will point to the page you set up.

Jeff

Back