Debian install has invalid exim.conf

sday

Verified User
Hi

I installed DA in Debian 5 with custombuild 1.1 and everything seemed ok. But it turns out exim has been using the da-unaware exim.conf that's included in the da_exim-4.69.deb package and rejecting email. I fixed it by enabling eximconf=yes in custombuilds options file.

Why the heck does the directadmin provided da_exim-4.69.deb file come with a non-da aware configuration file? And since it does why doesn't custombuild overwrite the exim.conf by default?

Also, I mentioned some time ago that the debian package contained in da_exim-4.69.deb should be named "da-exim" and marked as conflicting against "exim". "exim" is provided by debian and it will be upgraded when the exim in debian has a newer version than da_exim. Perhaps this needs its own thread to get directadmins attention. Same with proftpd.

I don't mean to come across as a crumpy old man. I love directadmin, but the installation scripts are a programmers nightmare.

Cheers
Shane

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I checked and confirmed the deb file had an incorrect exim.conf. I'm amazed this has not been spotted/reported to me until now, as debian 5 has been in testing for several months now. I've updated the deb file and services file for debian 5.

The default is to not overwrite it because custom changes to the exim.conf, including enabling spamassassin would get overwritten during config rewrites through custombuild, which is usually not a desired effect.

Regarding the da_exim vs da-exim.. Can you confirm that they have changed the default naming from "exim4" to "exim"?
I can easily change the "Package:" option in the "control" file to da-exim, just need to confirm the "why" part. When the control was written for deb 3 and deb 4, "exim4" was the conflicting file.

John

The no-overwrite default makes sense if the .deb has a valid .conf.

I repeated my old complaint without retesting. :eek: It turns out Debian 5 (Lenny) only has exim4 so will not conflict. I originally reported the problem in Debian 4 (Etch) where both exim and exim4 exist. I had aptitude trying to upgrade to the exim in Etch that was newer than the version from DA.

I believe the suggestions still apply. Using a clear namespace stops this kind of problem from occurring. Adding conflicts against the Debian package prevents the user from accidentally installing the Debian provided package or having it pulled in as a dependency.

You can see what packages are in what versions of debian along with lots of details here:
http://packages.debian.org/exim

By convention debian packages have "-" rather than "_" in package names. "_" is used to separate name_version_arch.

Cheers
Shane

Back