High Server Loads with Processes : Urgent Support Needed

ZooP

Hello Mates,

I keep getting these emails from my server (Dual Core , 2 Gb Ram)

Mails:
lfd on xxx.info: Excessive resource usage: rpc
lfd on xxx.info: Excessive resource usage: avahi
lfd on xxx.info: Suspicious process running under user rpc
lfd on xxx.info: High 5 minute load average alert - 6.51

This is leading to a high server load and making my sites inaccessible.

Would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks a lot

are any other services such as, MySQL effected? Or just websites?
if it's just websites, check to see that you are not getting more HTTPD processes than your machine can handle. On my server, a CentOS5.3 box, Adam 1.06GHZ processor, 1GB ram, I experienced high load-averages because HTTPD had well over 100 connections and it was processing to many requests that the service couldn't handle.
if you'd like, PM me, topdog, and I can have a look for no charge, into your process issues if you'd like.

Adam 1.06GHZ processor
Do you mean the atom processor from Intel? If so, then I presume you realize that it's not designed for servers.

Here's what Intel says about the processor:
"This is our smallest processor built with the world's smallest transistors. The Intel® Atom™ processor is based on an entirely new design, built for low power and designed specifically for a new wave of Mobile Internet Devices and simple, low-cost PC's. This small wonder is a fundamental new shift in design, small yet powerful enough to enable a big Internet experience on these new devices. We believe it will unleash new innovation across the industry."
More information here.

I've got one in my netbook; for that it works fine. But the biggest issue is the design; it takes more cycles to do simple tasks, and it has too small a cache to be effective in a server.

Jeff

Interesting? Didn't know that.
I say adam because that's what I see on the system info page of DA. Plus my provider Interserver has this for the server specs I use:
VPS Buster Dedicated Server
•Atom Dual-Core 1.6Ghz
•1GB Ram 800mhz
•250GB Hard Drive
•Dedicated Server
•2000GB Transfer
•5 IPS
•100MB Port
That's why I say Adam do to those specs.

Your host is using a server with a single Atom processor as a VPS hub? That's your problem right there. The Atom processor is not sufficient to run VPS's.

Everyone look again :):

@topdog: you continue to say adam but you post a description that says atom.

@littloak: now, the server described isn't a VPS; it's a VPS Buster Dedicated Server they're renting out low power dedicated servers instead of VPS servers.

@scsi: your comment needs no further comment. But I believe it's against the DirectAdmin Terms of Service.

I may rent one of these for a month or two to check it out, but it doesn't make much sense to me to use up a 1-U space in a datacenter rack to host a $39 server no matter how good it is.

Jeff

I only posted what I saw based upon what DA displayed and what my provider InterServer gave me for specs on the detacated server page for that particular server.

Back