multi dns

fmen

Verified User
Hello
I have a multi-DNS setup, on server one I have ns1.domain.com and ns5.domain.com, and on server two I want ns2.domain.com and ns6.domain.com. (I only want to use ns1 and ns2). How do I create the nameservers for the second server on the same domain in DirectAdmin? I can't create it with the nameserver page in the reseller part, so how do I set up this properly?

Create them as virtual nameservers, using IP#s on the servers on which you want them.

Jeff

How do I do that? Because I can't create it with the panel on the second server, the domain only exists on the first server.

It appears that DirectAdmin and I use the term virtual nameserver slightly differently.

What I mean is that you create them entirely in DNS and at the Registrar, but not on the DirectAdmin control panel.

Then you assign them under nameservers in the reseller section of the control panel to be used for new accounts.

For example:

You've got a server that responds to 192.168.200.2 and another, on a different network that responds to 192.168.201.2.

Your domain name is example.com.

On the server hosting the master zone file for example.com you create two A records: one for ns1.example.com pointing to 192.168.200.2, and one for ns2.example.com pointing to 192.168.201.2.

At the registrar you create two nameservers (often called hosts, depending on where you've registered your domain), ns1.example.com at 192.168.200.2 and one for ns2.example.com at 192.168.201.2.

Then in the reseller section of DirectAdmin you list those two nameservers to be used for new domains.

As long as you have some method for slaving all zones on ns1.example.com to ns2.example.com, you're good to use both.

For slaving we use the Master2Slave DNS Replicator which I had written and placed into open source the General Public License. You can find it described in these forums and you can download it here.

Jeff

Back