yum upgrade of centos to 5.4 conflicts with exim

roly

Verified User
hi

i've just tried to update my centos to the new 5.4 version with yum, but when trying to run the update i get the following error and the upgrade stops. anyone got any ideas?

Transaction Check Error:
file /etc/aliases from install of setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch conflicts with file from package da_exim-4.67-1.i386

thanks in advance

I see the same error trying to upgrade a centos 5.3 server to centos 5.4.

Try this, its work for me..

1: mv /etc/aliases /etc/aliases.bak
2: yum clean all
3: rpm -Fvh --replacefiles /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
4: yum update
5: mv /etc/aliases.bak /etc/aliases

3: rpm -Fvh --replacefiles /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm

it worked for me too on many servers with the same issue, but I didn't do "yum clean all" otherwise rpm cannot find setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm.

Thanks

Last edited:
it worked for me too on many servers with the same issue, but I didn't do "yum clean all" otherwise rpm cannot find setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm.

Thanks
Ok u don't have to do "yum clean all", only if not works this then u have to do it.

I got other problem !

Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15 is needed by package perl-DBD-MySQL
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by package perl-DBD-MySQL

Thanks for help here !

Code:
[root@server ~]# mv /etc/aliases /etc/aliases.bak
[root@server ~]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
[root@server ~]# rpm -Fvh --replacefiles /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
error: open of /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm failed: No such file or directory
[root@server ~]#

Ok u don't have to do "yum clean all", only if not works this then u have to do it.
I write it here before, nobody read it
Its verry easy to make a new topic before read my solution.

This one works 100%

2: rpm -Fvh --replacefiles /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
3: yum update
4: mv /etc/aliases.bak /etc/aliases

If there any problems then u can use this:

1: yum clean all
2: yum update
3: mv /etc/aliases /etc/aliases.bak
4: rpm -Fvh --replacefiles /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
5: yum update (again for check)
6: mv /etc/aliases.bak /etc/aliases

I did it on many servers, and all 100% working.

After I do all the above I get this when "yum update":

Code:
Updating       : selinux-policy                                [119/251]
Updating       : selinux-policy-targeted                       [120/251]
webapps homedir /var/www/html or its parent directory conflicts with a
defined context in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts,
/usr/sbin/genhomedircon will not create a new context. This usually indicates an incorrectly defined system account.  If it is a system account please make sure its login shell is /sbin/nologin.
Updating       : yum                                           [121/251]

Is this something to worry about?

For me working fine for centos 5.4

[root@host ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

After I do all the above I get this when "yum update":

Code:
Updating       : selinux-policy                                [119/251]
Updating       : selinux-policy-targeted                       [120/251]
webapps homedir /var/www/html or its parent directory conflicts with a
defined context in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts,
/usr/sbin/genhomedircon will not create a new context. This usually indicates an incorrectly defined system account.  If it is a system account please make sure its login shell is /sbin/nologin.
Updating       : yum                                           [121/251]

Is this something to worry about?
Got the same error as you did. Wondering the same thing.

I presume you're running selinux? I don't recommend that in a webserver environment unless you know what you're doing, including how to manage and understand these kinds of error messages. Have you googled the message?

Jeff

But what about the rest of what I wrote. Unless you're very familiar with SELinux, don't use it on a hosting server. It's designed to keep local users from screwing up a system.

While it can help keep a hosting server secure, setting it up is a pain because you really don't know in advance what you'll need to allow visitors to access.

Jeff

If you're sure SELinux is disabled and you're getting an SELinux error, then I'd say you probably need to find a CentOS, RedHat, or CentOS specific list or forum where you can get better answers. I for one have never come across a situation where CentOS was disabled and still causing errors.

It shouldn't.

Jeff

Well, it was a warning, not an error. Agree with you about CentOS lists to some extent, but if you read the warning message quoted above it's an issue with how the webapps user is set up by DirectAdmin. So it is a DA/CentOS combination issue, IMO.

(As I mentioned, I only came to this thread because it turned up in my google search.)

Here is my /etc/selinux/config:
Code:
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#   enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#   permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#   disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#   targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#   strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

# SETLOCALDEFS= Check local definition changes
SETLOCALDEFS=0

And here is the warning message again:
Updating : selinux-policy-targeted [120/251]
webapps homedir /var/www/html or its parent directory conflicts with a defined context in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts, /usr/sbin/genhomedircon will not create a new context. This usually indicates an incorrectly defined system account. If it is a system account please make sure its login shell is /sbin/nologin.

So it looks like the warning is thrown because selinux is set to disabled, targeted, and there's an issue, as far as selinux-policy-targeted is concerned, with how DA defines the system account for the webapps user.

That's how I read it, anyways. I think it's safe to ignore because I don't plan on using /usr/sbin/genhomedircon or selinux-policy-targeted.

My understanding is that SELinux shouldn't care about context if it's disabled. That's why I recommended checking elsewhere.

Jeff

Back