Questions about SA-Exim, Procmail and end-users changing things like vacation message

jlixfeld

Verified User
In another mail environment, I'm running SA-Exim (http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html) which runs SA at SMTP time. This patch has a few other benefits like being able to reject messages with a spam score of >= $REJECT_SCORE so that they won't even make it into your Inbox (or junk folder) while messages with a score of >= $ACCEPT_SCORE will be marked as spam but still be delivered incase it's a false positive. After moving to DA from my old Exim+SA-Exim setup, the number of messages in my junk folder has gone from a few to a few dozen. I'm wondering, if SA-Exim isn't supported, if there's another way to do this in Exim.

Next, procmail. Any plans to support procmail? This would be great as I'd like to be able to direct messages to IMAP folders server-side as opposed to my email client needing to do it. This also comes in really handy for things like checking mail on mobile phones. Having the mass of mails that are not important for me to immediately read not appear in the inbox of my phone make for a much more productive experience.

Last, and an extension to the procmail question, is there any way that end users (email users) are able to login to some portion of DA to do things like manage their own vacation messages (and/or procmail filters if it were every officially supported)?

Last edited:
In another mail environment, I'm running SA-Exim (http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html) which runs SA at SMTP time. This patch has a few other benefits like being able to reject messages with a spam score of >= $REJECT_SCORE so that they won't even make it into your Inbox (or junk folder) while messages with a score of >= $ACCEPT_SCORE will be marked as spam but still be delivered incase it's a false positive. After moving to DA from my old Exim+SA-Exim setup, the number of messages in my junk folder has gone from a few to a few dozen. I'm wondering, if SA-Exim isn't supported, if there's another way to do this in Exim.
SA-Exim isn't supported by DirectAdmin. I suppose it could be; you might want to post in the Feedback & Feature Requests subforum.

Are you currently using the SpamBlocker Technology features of the exim.conf file provided with DirectAdmin? Or the latest one, the Release Candidate published by me? If so your numbers should be lower.
Next, procmail. Any plans to support procmail? This would be great as I'd like to be able to direct messages to IMAP folders server-side as opposed to my email client needing to do it. This also comes in really handy for things like checking mail on mobile phones. Having the mass of mails that are not important for me to immediately read not appear in the inbox of my phone make for a much more productive experience.
You really don't need to do that; you can create your own routers in exim.conf.

Or you can modify exim.conf to use procmail.

Or again, post a Feature Request.
Last, and an extension to the procmail question, is there any way that end users (email users) are able to login to some portion of DA to do things like manage their own vacation messages (and/or procmail filters if it were every officially supported)?
There is an email user plugin available for DirectAdmin, published by the publishers of DirectAdmin, and discussed on these forums. Search for the plugin to see if it does what you want.

Jeff

SA-Exim isn't supported by DirectAdmin. I suppose it could be; you might want to post in the Feedback & Feature Requests subforum.

I'll post there, thanks. My system isn't high volume enough to cause exim load issues, so it's certainly not urgent.

Are you currently using the SpamBlocker Technology features of the exim.conf file provided with DirectAdmin? Or the latest one, the Release Candidate published by me? If so your numbers should be lower.

Indeed. I found the hooks to delete high scoring spam in the Spamassassin setup area. This is certainly adequate.

You really don't need to do that; you can create your own routers in exim.conf.

Or you can modify exim.conf to use procmail.

Or again, post a Feature Request.

Creating custom routers isn't ideal because it would be nice to allow customers to use the feature too, but doing it in exim.conf would be too limiting as it would require too much recurring CLI voodoo as customers wanted changes made. My thought about procmail was that they could modify the rules as they see fit via .procmailrc like configs.

I have looked into modifying exim.conf to support procmail, but I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone had written support in (officially or unofficially) so I can get the jist of how they did it. I want to try and make sure I don't inadvertently break the system due to ignorant human error.

There is an email user plugin available for DirectAdmin, published by the publishers of DirectAdmin, and discussed on these forums. Search for the plugin to see if it does what you want.

Jeff

That's great, thanks for the pointer!

Creating custom routers isn't ideal because it would be nice to allow customers to use the feature too
We see that as an upselling opportunity :). We consider DirectAdmin's email system to be adequate for the usual email user; for those who want more management ability we recommend a more robust email solution. DirectAdmin's email solution is designed to be used as a hosting feature, and DirectAdmin is not designed to be used for a custom email solution. There are specialized packages, both commercial and open-source, available for that.

Jeff

Back