[API] sa-learn from webmail clients

SenetEHV

Verified User
I have been trying to get Roundcube (or any other webmail client) to get to give my users the ability to mark and learn spam through the webmail interface with DA's default SpamAssassin setup.

Since version 0.3 Roundcube comes with a wonderful plugin structure and there's already the perfect plugin to make this possible called Mark As Junk 2. It features the possibility to make your own drivers and I have been trying to make one for DA. Unfortunately, in DA the Bayesian SpamAssassin (file) database is linked to the main DA account (~username/.spamassassin) and not to the individual e-mail users and with the data a webmail client has, it seems impossible to call the sa-learn command and point to the correct Bayes database file. (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Well, not entirely impossible, I have found a very dirty and non-secure method which I'm not going to implement on a live server that uses the Linux find command to extract the DA user name from the path /home/username/imap/domain.com/emailuser as the domain and the local part (emailuser) are known within a webmail client. Very dirty :eek:

SpamAssassin's sa-learn command can be fed with a user name (the DA user I presume) or path to database file.

It would be nice to have an API call that would get the DA user or path to the Bayes database file that belongs to an e-mail address (authenticated by e-mail address / e-mail password) so that it's possible to make it easier to fight spam.

I know there's the cron job solution (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=188), but I don't want to have to "educate" my users to use the special folders and the hassle of managing cron jobs and scripts.

If the above can be done without new API functionality I'd be very interested in the details of course!

Bart

Anyone else thinks this could be a good feature (or not)? I have to admit the auto-learning of SpamAssassin is working pretty well also, but sometimes a spam mail slips through. Not trying to spam and bump this topic, just interested if more people have been thinking about this.

I dont understand why its not a default with directadmin already.

Back