Direct Admin Mail or Google Aps

pluk

Verified User
I was wondering why not forward the MX record to google and let their system take care of Spams. Any thoughts why you would or not? Pro and cons?

What are you talking about? What does this have to do with anything?

I prefer to look at all my email myself and determine if it is spam or not. I am certainly not going to let some stupid piece of software determine what is spam.

I was just debating if my emails should be on Direct admin or forward it to Google apps using gmail. It's just less maintenance to do. Again, just considering. For sure, you don't have the branding behind the direct admin.

I was wondering why not forward the MX record to google and let their system take care of Spams. Any thoughts why you would or not? Pro and cons?

Gmail has the worlds best spam filter. Also, it is better for webhosting clients to use GoogleApps/Gmail for their domains, because then it is eayser for them to move between hosting providers (just change the MX-records, and the mail is untouched by the move!). Also it let shared hosting providers consentrate more on providing the best possible service for webhosting, instead of using a lot of resources on the mail services.

At the moment we encourage all ours clients to use GoogleApps for their mail, but we offer both GoogleApps (help with the setup) and default email handling through DirectAdmin.

What would the point of being a hosting provider be if you "gave" all your email business away to Google?

If you like the SPAM filtering of GMail - why don't you offer Postini to your customers?

way the costs and gmail/apps wins hands down + 7Gb inbox + High availability.

I don't consider it giving away business, i see it as value adding to my business.

sure - give your clients the "option" to use Google Apps. However I see that's another way of allowing Google to build their empire - and what are they doing for you in return? It costs Google the same money to store email per GB as it does you - a HDD is a HDD. The more clients that you have, the more likely it is that you will be able to afford nice storage hardware (likes SANs) - and grow to build large Data Centres (Centers for the US people).

If your clients are paying you the same amount to have their email with Google than with you - then I can see some justification. However, what would you say if Google decided to start competing with you for hosting services? What would happen to your business then?

My take on this, is if your clients are hung up on Google Apps, then let them - but the ones that aren't - give them your full attention and don't give away free "clients" to Google for nothing in return.

Here is my vision past and future for the web hosting industry.

For years particularly in Australia, the cost of data and hosting have been seriously over inflated. This is the only reason I started doing hosting back in 2000. It's only recently that the pricing has slowly started to come down.

I have never kidded myself that the day that big telco companies and likes of Google decide to invade the cheap hosting market, my hosting business will be obliterated. I'm happy to integrate instead of going down fighting the unwinnable battle.

We aren't fighting yet - and there's no battle. So why give them a "leg up"!

However, I do see your point - and I'm not kidding myself either about the "hosting industry" - which is why we focus on Data Centre services, hosting is a smaller service as part of our overall offering.

Something else I take into consideration is that email is the stickiest service you've got. People who host their email and website with you are more likely to stay with you than people who only host their website with you.

Jeff

One of my client change their email to Gmail app, and I found one problem that I dont really know how to solve ...

When I want to send mail to my client, if the email didn't exist in the DA mail account exim will reject the mail (system cannot found the account to send, but the real mail server is Gmail MX)

My client still use our web and DNS service, so since my client shift their email to Gmail, I cannot send mail to them through the DA server in the same machine.

Is there any solution let the server knowing the client no longer use the localhost MX service ? (hope "she" won't break heart when hear this news)

Is there any solution let the server knowing the client no longer use the localhost MX service

Yes. You have to uncheck the box that tells the server that the mail is local. This is in the same place where you change the MX records.

If you need more info then there is already many threads about this in this forum.

There is also the knowledgebase http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=8

Back