FreeBSD 8.0 - WHEN?

Equand

Verified User
When will DA support Freebsd 8.0 64-bit?
The speed difference between 7.2 and 8.0 is HUGE comparing on a 8 core system...

Hello,

Debian 64-bit is just starting testing. Once it's on it's feet, then we'll start FreeBSD 8.

We're undecided if we'll skip FreeBSD 8 32-bit, and do only FreeBSD 8 64-bit (which would save us a lot of work). If FreeBSD 64-bit is going to be the more popular version used, then the 32-bit system wouldn't be needed.

Discussion/opinions on that is welcome.

John

There should be a 32 and 64bit of every os. Doesnt mean everyone is goign to have 64bit hardware for every install of 8.0.

you should have both

But is ok with a 64 bit version first

I think most of us would preffer having a
7.2 - 32, 64 bit
8.0 - 32, 64 bit

instead of:
4.x, 5.x, 6.x, which still can be ordered.
(my opinion)

Last edited:
ports

And is it possible to install everything from ports in the future? The outdated ports are a possible security risk and it's a nightmare to update them manually...
I'm fighting now with the upgrading of openssl, sshd, named...

Last edited:
None of those things are installed or managed by directadmin. You are on your own if you want to upgrade those.

ports

But the requirements of those ports are installed by directadmin, like perl, pcre... and the installer can't find them.

Perl isnt installed by directadmin and I dont know pcre is. Those are all packages required for directadmin to run but not installed by it.

pcre

You are right perl isn't installed by DA but PCRE is by custombuild. And PCRE is a dependency by some of the ports so I can't install them.

To DA Support, the future is certainly 64bit, so Freebsd 8 64Bit. Anyone who wants 32bit can use DA 32bt for 7.x imho.

Over net speed diff between the two (7.2 and 8.0) is not that big.

The speed and capacity increase between accessing another 4gb of RAM and just having Fbsd8 32bt makes me lean toward the 64bit version.

I would be willing to help with the testing of fbsd 64bit...

PS: Surely one can run 7.2 DA on 8 Freebsd using the 7x compatlibs? This is engineered into freebsd and has worked in the past.

Has anyone tried this?

To DA Support, the future is certainly 64bit, so Freebsd 8 64Bit. Anyone who wants 32bit can use DA 32bt for 7.x imho.

Over net speed diff between the two (7.2 and 8.0) is not that big.

The speed and capacity increase between accessing another 4gb of RAM and just having Fbsd8 32bt makes me lean toward the 64bit version.

I would be willing to help with the testing of fbsd 64bit...

This is that nothing but opinion. 32bit should be supplied with each and every os distribution and version. Show me your speed analysis reports on why you think 7.2 and 8.0 are not any different?

Waiting for FreeBSD 8.0 64bit here as well. Running root on zfs is working perfectly and 8.0 is much improved over 7.2 on heavy duty systems.

I wish I knew this 24 hours earlier.

Yesterday I remotely upgraded my FreeBSD 7.1 server to 8.0, but after a reboot the system didn't respond anymore. I had to drive to the datacenter and solve the problem.

I had to rollback to FreeBSD 7.1.

FreeBSD 8.0 didn't understand some changes in the /etc/fstab (like usergroups)

OT but FYI

You must be careful and double check the syntax of the files which freeebsd-update reports as being unable to merge automatically.

I've done a few upgrade "over the air" and it worked out fine. As its a major upgrade the only gripe is having to rebuild all the ports, but using portmaster or portupgrade this may be easier.

I simply made a note of the ports on the system then deleted them all and reinstalled.

rickelodeon: There is an issue with the bootloader, or at least that struck me.
try adding GEOM_BSD and GEOM_MBR, GEOM_PART_BSD, GEOM_PART_MBR in your kernel include file. You can see how the syntax is for GEOM_PART_xxx (I forgot the exact name) , and hash out that line (Which is currently there).

In my case I upgraded to 8.x on a hetzner machine, and was unable to boot from it. Having a Lara remote kvm over IP available showed that the root was not found. After asking my peer-developers, I found out the root problem of this..

This might, or might not work for you =)

Cheerio,
R

Back