DirectAdmin down after update 1.345

HostingGrounds

Verified User
Dear,

When I upgraded my DirectAdmin to version 1.345, my server isn't reachable via port 2222. I get a time out.

There is nothing in the error / system log. It sais that the update was succesfull. I tried too restart DirectAdmin, but that didn't work.
Why does this happends and how do I fix it.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Have you looked at the DirectAdmin log? Have you tried an update from the shell, to see if there is/was a problem with the update?

Jeff

I have looked in the DirectAdmin log. There were no errors found.

web01:/# /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/update.sh
Stopping DA-PopB4Smtp: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/update.sh: line 33: 11871 Killed /etc/init.d/da-popb4smtp restart

What does it mean exactly?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say the exact same has just happened to us.

There is obviously an error with the update script.

We were on 1.344, clicked update, got a message saying it had been successful, and tried to login.

Server was down, ok, no problem, run service directadmin restart and get:
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Run update.sh manually and get:
Starting DA-PopB4Smtp: /usr/local/directadmin/da-popb4smtp: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Note we're using: CentOS 64bit, 5.4.

:(

Last edited:
When I just upgraded from 1.344 to 1.345 i get this error messages:

Code:
This is an automated message notifying you that an error has occurred while trying to update the software.
The generated error message is as follows:

Error restoring file /usr/local/directadmin/update.tar.gz : /bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2_secure.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2_sub.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host_sub.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
: tar returned error code 512<br>
<br>
<br>
Try updating manually: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29<br>

Please contact JBMC-Software, including the error message. Failure to do so could result in an inactive control panel.

But when I look in the "Licensing / Updates" page, it says that I am running version 1.34.5. What should I do?

Edit: Nevermind this post! My datacenter tells me they have edited those files, and that the error messages is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
When I just upgraded from 1.344 to 1.345 i get this error messages:

Code:
This is an automated message notifying you that an error has occurred while trying to update the software.
The generated error message is as follows:

Error restoring file /usr/local/directadmin/update.tar.gz : /bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2_secure.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host2_sub.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: data/templates/virtual_host_sub.conf: Cannot open: File exists
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
: tar returned error code 512<br>
<br>
<br>
Try updating manually: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29<br>

Please contact JBMC-Software, including the error message. Failure to do so could result in an inactive control panel.

But when I look in the "Licensing / Updates" page, it says that I am running version 1.34.5. What should I do?

Might be worth trying to updating manually anyway, just to be safe.

I would... if I had any idea what my license details were :( will have to contact my VPS provider.

Last edited:
Just a quick update

I have just confirmed exactly the same behavior as above on a fresh CentOS 5.4 64bit install.

Got to the last stages of the install process and:

Code:
*   All parts have been installed   *

Type: /sbin/service httpd restart
./directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Seems the 1.345 completely breaks DirectAdmin on CentOS 5.4 64bit. :(

Last edited:
Solution

Ok... for whatever reason, it turns out that if you're running CentOS 64bit you need to install the following packages:

PHP:
openssl       i686 0.9.8e-12.el5
openssl-devel i386 0.9.8e-12.el5
libstdc++     i386 4.1.2-46.el5_4.1

Why? Goodness only knows. It was working perfectly fine for me before now without them.

Just run:

yum install openssl openssl-devel libstdc++

And make sure exclude=*.i386 *.i586 *.i686 is not in your /etc/yum.conf

Problem solved :)

Hopefully this will save someone all the time I spent on trying to resolve this issue.

Upgrade of CentOS 5.4 32bit

Works with out any problem.... :)

A small error first time you log on to DA, but thats normal...
"Referer host does not match...server ip"

A small error first time you log on to DA, but thats normal...
"Referer host does not match...server ip"

Normal? Really? I have never seen that in over 4 years of using DA on many, many servers.

openssl i686 0.9.8e-12.el5
openssl-devel i386 0.9.8e-12.el5

Interesting. Whenever I install DA it installs those packages automatically. I would guess that you uninstalled them at some point. Its just a guess based on my experience.

Oh my God. I read some more on it and now I have to go disable it on all my servers since now the login form on my main web site no longer works. Good grief. This is the first time an update has caused a major problem for me.

Don't enable security for me. Let me decide if I want it or not. Reminds me of Microsoft, doing things for me instead of letting me choose if I want it or not.

higher risk of forms being posted from remote sites.

Yes that is what I want because how else can I have a login form on my main web site for all the different servers I have for all my customers. Of course the form is going to be submitted from a remote site, MINE.

Interesting. Whenever I install DA it installs those packages automatically. I would guess that you uninstalled them at some point. Its just a guess based on my experience.

Ahh, that could explain it.

I created a CentOS minimal install (shell) script a while back that I now use on all standard CentOS 64bit installs which configures almost everything I need on the server automatically.
After updating to the latest version of CentOS, the first thing it does is add exclude=*.i386 *.i586 *.i686 to /etc/yum.conf (so that I do not end up with multiple versions of often unneeded functionality).

If DirectAdmin normally installed the i386/i686 version of those using yum, then they would not have been installed on the box due to the yum configuration.
Though as far as I am aware, I never uninstalled them manually - so why as of now it suddenly decided to stop working with this upgrade I am not sure.

Unless upgrading the x86_64 version of OpenSSL removed the older version of i686 OpenSSL or something without telling me? No idea.

Last edited:
My experience is only on 32 bit.

The setup.sh script downloads and installs from http://files.directadmin.com/services/5/ (or whatever your OS is).

Yum should not uninstall anything unless there is a conflict.

If you are really curious you can set up another server and see what it does. I thought it had to have them for it to be able to install itself to begin with.

I just updated mine with no problems, running 64 bit here too.

I wanted to add to my post #14.

JBMC know that people use forms on one web site to post DA login information to another. They tell you how to do it here http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=61

So now with this update the above link is negated unless you are using the same domain. If the form is on example.com and you are posting to example.com:2222 then that will probably work. But if you post to example2.com:2222 from example.com then forget it.

If I did not happen to come across this thread today I could have potentially spent hours trying to figure out what was going wrong.

If functionality is going to change from one thing to another then there should be a bigger announcement. Its one thing to add features but its something totally different to make something stop working.

I am sorry for going on a rant but I am still a little peeved about this. I feel like I dodged a bullet by reading the forum today.

I wanted to add to my post #14.

JBMC know that people use forms on one web site to post DA login information to another. They tell you how to do it here http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=61

So now with this update the above link is negated unless you are using the same domain. If the form is on example.com and you are posting to example.com:2222 then that will probably work. But if you post to example2.com:2222 from example.com then forget it.

If I did not happen to come across this thread today I could have potentially spent hours trying to figure out what was going wrong.

If functionality is going to change from one thing to another then there should be a bigger announcement. Its one thing to add features but its something totally different to make something stop working.

I am sorry for going on a rant but I am still a little peeved about this. I feel like I dodged a bullet by reading the forum today.

A white list system could be really useful for this, I hope JBMC considers that!

Back