Should DirectAdmin include both MariaDB and MySQL?

Should DirectAdmin include both MariaDB and MySQL?

• Total voters

ditto

Verified User
Read more about MariaDB at http://kb.askmonty.org/v/MariaDB

After Sun Microsystems acquired MySQL, I am a not sure what to think about the future of MySQL. Today I was reading about MariaDB, a community-developed branch of the MySQL database. Its lead developer is Monty Widenius, the founder of MySQL.

MariaDB 5.1 is based on MySQL 5.1 and is available under the terms of the GPL v2 license.

MariaDB will be kept up to date with the latest MySQL release from the same branch.

In most respects MariaDB will work exactly as MySQL: all commands, interfaces, libraries and APIs that exist in MySQL also exist in MariaDB. (http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_versus_MySQL)

I think it would be great if DirectAdmin already now started on implementing MariaDB as default, and that they could include both MariaDB and MySQL in future versions.

In the future I think MariaDB will be the preferred choise on shared hosting servers, and it would be fantastic if DirectAdmin would support it on a early stage!

Let us discuss this! And please vote if you want MariaDB to be included in DirectAdmin!

Last edited:
Wow thats the worse name ever for a product. This is the first I have heard of it. I doubt it needs to be supported yet. It will take years for and if people want to migrate over.

Your poll is prejudiced by adding an exclamation point after the yes option :D.

1) Oracle has already announced that they intend to continue MySQL, and there's no reason to disbelieve them.

2) Over time the MariaDB would probably fork away, and there'd be no easy way to tell without a software test suite.

3) I can imagine how few new clients (don't forget our clients are nowhere near as sophisticated as we are) we'd get if we advertised in our feature list MariaDB instead of MySQL.

4) There's time enough to convert later, if there is a good reason; our old MySQL installations would continue to work until the new version was available, and it would be as compatible as you say, the conversion would be easy.

For all those reasons, and in spite of the bias in your poll, I voted no. Other's opinions may differ and I encourage discourse here.

Jeff

Your poll is prejudiced by adding an exclamation point after the yes option :D.

Sorry about that, that was thoughtless of me. However, I don't find any way to edit the poll? As a moderator, maybe you can remove the exlamation for me? Thanks!

3) I can imagine how few new clients (don't forget our clients are nowhere near as sophisticated as we are) we'd get if we advertised in our feature list MariaDB instead of MySQL.

Well, not instead for MySQL, I would want to offer both MariaDB and MySQL in the same packages. Quite a few of my clients is web developers themself, so to them, anything new they can have the option to test, is wonderful for them. However, I have many clients who don't know anything else then how to write a blogpost in WordPress, so I can see your point.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek; hence the smiley.

Nevertheless I've edited the Yes! option to be a Yes option :).

Jeff

I say No!
Oracle are good with databases, I see only a good future for the MySQL project.
why make life complicated for the end users? keep it simple.

heh root jokes . . .
mariadump ?
mariacheck ?

Kick!

I was just about to open a new topic about this when I run across this one, so it makes sense to give this a little of a kick.

I'd love to see mariadb supported by DirectAdmin. To reply to a few arguments mentioned in this thread:
(scsi) The product may be unknown, but it is _entirely_ Backwards Compatible with mysql, also because they use the same codebase. Also, they share the same unittests, so people won't really have to 'convert' anything.

(jlasman) Though Oracle has announced it will continue its development on Mysql, the development basically got stalled. They may have a few developers working on it; but that isn't really resulting in new features or new versions. Also, Falcon and Mysqlnd were cancelled, while these two were the biggest upcoming features.

Oh, and though Oracle may be good with databases; MariaDB is developed by the original author of Mysql (Monty). I dare to say that he also knows quite a bit about databases (if not; why on earth is everybody using it?).

Though MariaDB is fully backwards compatible to mysql it does offer a lot of new features and much more performant storage engines. And since the build process is pretty much the same; I see few reasons why not to support it.

Needless to say I voted the 'Yes' option.

Last edited:
I voted no because most end users know what mysql is. I think the default should still be mysql and maybe someone can create a plugin for Maria. What a horrible name imo.

I voted no because most end users know what mysql is. I think the default should still be mysql and maybe someone can create a plugin for Maria. What a horrible name imo.

I didn't think of the name, If I had I'd probably come with a different name as well ;)

Of course, the logical choice is to ship Mysql by default since that's what the majority of the clients/users want/expect.

Yes, I agree that MySQL should continue to be included as default. But just like DirectAdmin offers several webmail applications side by side, I would like MariaDB do be included as an option the same way -- so that we can either offer one of them, or choose to offer both of them at the same time.

It would make DirectAdmin stronger in customer point of view, because they then have more options. Also, we should support the development of MariaDB, this way MySQL will have more competition, and will likely be better because of that.

Let's face it, many of us are geeks. We know (at least some of us) what Maria is. But I'm convinced that if we offer it on our own sites, most potential clients will be unaware of it and simply confused.

When you confuse people, and offer them a chance to answer a question, most will answer with a no.

So I'd say it's way too early for us to offer it to our clients, and that we should wait until there's a good bit of consumer mindshare.

As another point, how compatible is it? If it's compatible enough that it runs on the same port by default, don't forget that we'll have to consider it to run differently, and our users will need to know to spec it differently.

Jeff

Adding (compatible with MySQL) next to the feature in the hosting plan would make hosting companies look bad imho, because users won't get it.

I'd rather have VoltDB, PostgreSQL and CouchDB as options :)

As another point, how compatible is it? If it's compatible enough that it runs on the same port by default, don't forget that we'll have to consider it to run differently, and our users will need to know to spec it differently.

From what I was told yesterday MariaDb will be developed parallel with MySql. Meaning that with every new mysql release there will also be a new release of MariaDb which provides the functionality of MySql + the added features (and bugfixes) of MariaDb.

As to what it's name is concerned: Monty named Mysql after his first daughter named My. He named MariaDb after his second daughter Maria. (luckily) there's a contest going on now for an alternate name, of which the result will be announced on Oscon, so probably after Oscon it will have a "better" name.

Oracle to be trusted???

I simply do not understand why some of you are against it:confused: But looking at the dates these comments were posted maybe some of you are beginning to see the bigger picture...

Especially after these events:eek::

Opensolaris axed by Oracle - http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/08/13/opensolaris_is_dead/

Oracle sues Google over Java - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...es-google-over-use-of-java-in-android-sdk.ars

Maybe OpenOffice is next? - http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...le_to_keep_openofficeorg_alive.html?tk=hp_new

Problem that I have is, Oracle cannot be trusted:mad::mad::mad:
So as a small company I cannot rely on assumptions:( That is why I do support MariaDB (which is not such a bad name, lets face it... we developers can only develop ;) )

I support MariaDB because of its license.
Also for OpenOffice I start looking into Go OO (http://go-oo.org/)

I hope more people can realize that we need to believe in our own power; the community, and not in big corporations because the only thing they want is money.

@perito77:

We (most of us) are in the webhoting business. It doesn't really matter what we like, what matters is what our customers will buy from us.

I still believe it's way too early for us to start advertising MariaDB over MySQL. We'll simply lose business to companies advertising MySQL.

I was at a Linux user grouop meeting last night where the topic came up. Someone I trust recommended Drizzle. After looking at it, though, I tend to disagree that it would work for us; it abandons some directions our users may have started taking with the newest versions of MySQL.

This article, though it predates the Sun sale to Oracle has some good discussion points.

Jeff

MariaDB all the way

@ jlasman

Thanks for your reply but I was not implying to sell it to the client. Of course it is way too early. Just like MySQL started the same applies to MariaDB.
But at least we can start working on it or testing so we can adopt it slowly to the public. It will just take 1 famous website to showcase it's work with MariaDB to start people gossiping on it :)

@ interfasys

Yes drizzle does look nice but just because the founder of MySQL is within MariaDB I tend to favor it more. But Drizzle is also welcome to join the party.

Last edited:
If one uses external mysqlserver in DA and configures his server with MariaDB or whatever, doesn't it does the trick ?

Here is some updates: Rename Maria (the engine) http://askmonty.org/wiki/Rename_Maria

Also in phpMyAdmin 3.3.8.0 (to be released in a few days), MariaDBs new engine Aria is supported: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/changelog.php «support ARIA storage engine as well as its previous name MARIA»

More information about MariaDB here: http://kb.askmonty.org/ (there is lot of news since this forum poll thread started!)

Especially see this page: MariaDB versus MySQL: http://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-versus-mysql

Back