Changing DirectAdmin to eth1 from eth0

idawgik

Verified User
Ok, long story short, we've got directadmin running on eth0 with approx 35 dedicated ip addresses.

We're having to move ISPs, which means we're getting a whole new IP range.

I've enabled the new ISP connection on eth1 and that seems to work fine. However, when I add IP addresses in DirectAdmin on the new range it adds them as aliases for eth0.

I've found the config setting in directadmin.conf for ethernet_dev and setting that to eth1 instead of eth0 prevents directadmin from starting up correctly.

I get the error: directadmin dead but pid exists when doing a service directadmin status after doing a restart of the service.

Changing back to eth0 works.

I'm sure at some point I will need to get my license file updated to the new ip, but is there a way to get it up and running before that? or am I doing something wrong?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You will need to manually configure the ip for eth1

You can change the interface in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

ethernet_dev=eth1

You can change the interface in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

ethernet_dev=eth1

scsi he already tried that. He wants both interfaces to work. But using the DirectAdmin control panel it can only add ips to 1 interface. You cannot pick which interface to add ips to in the control panel.

scsi he already tried that. He wants both interfaces to work. But using the DirectAdmin control panel it can only add ips to 1 interface. You cannot pick which interface to add ips to in the control panel.

Ok. Then I guess its a feature that needs to be added.

Yeah, I have already set the ethernet_dev=eth1, however, as soon as I do that, directadmin service won't start, so I'm wondering what I'm missing there.

Basically, I need to get eth1 working, and all new IPs added to eth1 instead of eth0. Then I need to change all the IP addresses of the accounts and remove all the eth0 IPs and disable the device.

So, first step, how do I get directadmin service to startup after changing it over to eth1 from eth0?

Floyd: you mentioned I need to manually configure the IP for eth1. Are you referring to setting that up with the ifcfg files? I have done that and it works.

After I change the ethernet_dev config variable and restart the directadmin service, it says stopped ok and started ok. However, if I do a status, I get the error: directadmin dead but pid exists.

Thanks again for your help.

I guess my first question is why bother with using eth1 at all? Are you having to plug it into a different switch? I have used ip's from different isp's before on the same eth0.

Anyway, It sound like you are trying to change everything over to new ip's.

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=250

The main thing you need to do is contact DirectAdmin to change the ip in the license.

Well, the new connection is on eth1, and is connected to a different switch, although, I guess we could just do everything en mass at one time, was hoping to be able to do the transition in phases though, especially with name server ip addresses on there...

For changing the ip address, would we do that and download a new license before switching it? (ie, is that new license required for it to run on the new ip addresses?)

Thanks

Edit: I'd replied before checking out the link. That does seem to cover what's required, so I think we'll just handle it en mass. I'll contact directadmin about the ip change for the license.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
(ie, is that new license required for it to run on the new ip addresses?)

Yes.

You can still do it in stages but you just have to think about what you are doing and do some things manually.

There are different ways of doing it depending your level of expertise and how many ips you have to deal with.

If it were me since its something that would not have to be done very often I would hire somebody to just do it and be done with it.

You are only changing ip addresses so lower the ttl first and then several hours later make the change.

Back