Unable to read the license file

cyberneticos

Verified User
./directadmin b200
Debug set to level 200
Unable to read the license file
reason: An error has occurred while attempting to decrypt the data<br>
<br>

Anyone have any idea why that's happening ?

Tried just about everything, rebuilding DA, changing LID, even contacting directadmin support, and no luck, neither work :)

check permissions on /dev/random (or /dev/urandom)

if /dev/random can't be read by diradmin user, try something like:
chmod 666 /dev/random

should look something like:

ls -la /dev/random
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 8 Feb 26 01:17 /dev/random

Thanks, that was the problem.

still no response from my ticket to DA support.

DA support: You guys need to answer your tickets quicker. :mad:

Thanks, that was the problem.

still no response from my ticket to DA support.

DA support: You guys need to answer your tickets quicker. :mad:

JBMC does not have a ticket system so are you sure you are submitting something in the right place? Or are you just misusing the term "ticket"?

I usually get responses from JBMC within about 4 hours.

Heehehee,. yep, I wish they did have a ticket system, so we get ticket receipt and stuff.

I misused the term, unfortunately ;)

A ticket system would also eliminate the "lost" email problem. Ticket systems do not rely on email at all. Either party can check the ticket system at any time to see any updates regardless of whether or not one got the email notification from the ticket system.

Yep. I've requested a ticket system a long time ago, many people have.

I really just don't get it.

On the other hand I have a hard time understanding the need for support from JBMC. I did mention that I usually got a response from them within 4 hours but I must clarify, the last time I contacted JBMC about anything was July 2008.

It's not that hard to understand, we had a problem with a Directadmin product, and couldn't find the answer in the forum. That's why we needed thier help.

Thank god we got help from the community, becuase we had a customer down since Saturday, without knowing what to do.

And still no response,...

I have only seen this type of problem a lot with OpenVZ but I don't use XEN yet, only experimented.

You may disagree but I think it is more of a VPS problem than a DirectAdmin problem because the permissions on /dev/random affect a lot more than just DirectAdmin. Likely if you reboot the VPS the problem will occur again. You should check the VPS settings and perhaps ask Solus about it as well.

A "normal" install of CentOS already has /dev/random chmod 666.

Correct, now that we know the solution, I agree it's not a DA "originated" problem but still one that didn't allow us to use it.

This is the only case we've seen so far. We have about 10 vms with solus so far. If we get too many more, we'll see about asking Solus.

Cheers!

It may be a problem with udev if that is installed and /dev/random keeps reverting to 0660 permissions.

This happened on reboot to a debian xen vm because for some reason there were no udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d
After doing:

apt-get update
apt-get --purge remove udev
apt-get clean
apt-get install udev

and a reboot of the vm, /dev/random had the right permissions and DA started automatically

the rules.d file:
020_permissions.rules
includes the following:
KERNEL=="random", MODE="0666"
KERNEL=="urandom", MODE="0666"

Back