Host not aware of own hosted domains

jlpeifer

Verified User
If I go to the console of my new DA server and try to ping a domain that's hosted on that server I get a response that reads, ping: unknown host domain-name.com.

If I ping the same domain from an external host the IP address resolves correctly, so I believe that the DNS service on the server is working OK from the outside, just not the inside.

Any ideas?

check /etc/resolv.conf and update your nameservers, i use to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google ns)

Another thing usefull should be put the real domain ^^

check /etc/resolv.conf and update your nameservers, i use to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google ns)

Another thing usefull should be put the real domain ^^

You might find 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are much faster nameservers than Google's nameservers - of course depends on your location.

You might find 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are much faster nameservers than Google's nameservers - of course depends on your location.

How much faster is "much faster"? Are you really going to notice a 1 msec difference? Would you notice a 100 msec difference?

Code:
;; Query time: 39 msec
;; SERVER: 4.2.2.1#53(4.2.2.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar  9 09:04:34 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 125

;; Query time: 40 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar  9 09:04:47 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 125

The 4.2.2.x nameservers are in Level3 address space and are maintained by Level3 for Verizon. When I had space in a Level3 datacenter they worked very reliably. They don't always work reliably from other locations.

I strongly suggest 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (Google); they're anycast servers, which means there are multiple servers in multiple locations (as are the Verison servers) and have huge caches, which means very little wasted time doing additional lookups; almost everything you'd ever lookup is already in there.

I just did some tests on Google nameservers: for all I tested (not a lot) working DNS came back in approximately 40 msec; nonworking DNS (which means recursion had to be tried) came back at a bit under 300 msec.

Jeff

Back