Creating a CSR file

MikeVrind

Verified User
Hello,

I'm having a few problems when creating a CSR file to request a SSL certificate.

What I have done (from the beginning)

1. Add a new IP adres on the server via DirectAdmin.
2. Assign this IP to the user who needs the SSL certificate.
3. Logged in as the user who needs the SSL.
4. Enable SSL for the user.
4.2 (Checked [Secure SSL])
4.3 Chosen for 'Use a symbolic link from private_html to public_html'.

5. Clicked 'SSL Certificates' in DA.
6. Checked the second option (Create your own self signed certificate & Create A Certificate Request )
6.2 Checked 'Create A Certificate Request'.
7. Filled in the form with the following data:

2 Letter Country Code NL
State/Province Zuid Holland
City Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel
Company **** *** & **** B.V. (** for client privacy)
Company Division Webshop
Common Name www.domain.nl
E-Mail [email protected]
Key Size (bits) 1024

8. Pressed the save button at the bottom of the page.
9. Copied and pasted the whole content of the textarea to my e-mailclient and mailed the certificate request to our hosting provider who will do the actual request.

Now our hosting provider keeps having a error on the 'Common name', but the common name is filled in by DA by default.
Anyone has an idea why our provider keeps getting a error on the common name? They also mentioned a error with a password that has been added to the CSR, but I cant fill in a password in DA while filling out the CSR stuff?

It's unlikely that a CSR created by DirectAdmin would have a password in it. It's also unlikely that the common name wouldn't be created properly.

I suggest trying the following steps:

First: create a new 2048 bit key. To do that in DirectAdmin you must create a self-signed certificate first with a 2048 bit key.

Once you've done that then create a new CSR.

You can check your CSR here.

If it's not correct, then you should probably check with DirectAdmin Support if your DirectAdmin license is support eligible.

Another option would be to buy a Secure Certificate with installation, from us. Not expensive. If we run into difficulties we'll resolve them. For availability and pricing information you may email me using the address below in my siglines.

Jeff

Back