Softaculous or Installatron

Softaculous or Installatron

• Total voters

001host

I am a new host that will be offering Direct Admin.
No I know Auto installers are used for one click installs by newbies.

I found that Softaculous and Installatron are the available auto installers for Direct Admin.
So the big question is which one should I opt for ?

Which is better and WHY ?
I read a comparision chart at Softaculous.com:
http://www.softaculous.com/compare

Now its obvious they will show off themselves.
Couldnt find a comparision on Installatrons website.

Please let me know which is better by voting in the poll.

To me it's not about the number of scripts, but about the control I have over what is going to be done and the reliability of the installation process.
I'm a satisfied Installatron customer.

I'm also a satisfied Installatron customer. But since I haven't ever tried Softaculous, I can't tell you it's better or worse.

Looking at the Softaculous comparison, I don't see anything about ability of admin to set which resellers can do what, or for resellers to set which users can do what. Though I've always installed Installatron for all uers/resellers, I believe that Installatron can do that. Please do not take this as true, because I could be mistaken.

Perhaps someone else will respond.

Jeff

I've only tested the demo of Softaculous which half works, which is not a good sign in my book.
They like mile long pages, I don't.

I like the level of customization offered by Installatron and the way they take users by the hand to help them configure their app properly. True, their catalogue could be augmented and obsolete apps removed or categorized better (EOL), but it works well.

Do they have a Demo ?
Where ?
Let me google it.

EDIT:
Found it. I installed OpenBlog and its working. But their page is a little lengthy.

Last edited:
Does who have a demo?

In my opinion, the WHT thread isn't a fair comparison because it lists a product only available for cPanel, and not for DirectAdmin. If Fantastico weren't in the mix would there be more users using Installatron than Softaculous? Impossible to know.

Because we're happy with Installatron I'd only be willing to try Softaculous alongside if there were scripts available from it that weren't available in Installatron, and if we could configure it so only those scripts were shown.

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks.

Jeff

I meant of Softaculous having a demo.
BTW they have 138 scripts so they do have scripts that Installatron doesnt have.
Thanks for your input guys, but I am going with Softaculous.
Its cheap and its got more potential.
If users dont like it we will shift to Installatron.

I have used Installatron for the last couple of years and I have been very happy with it.

Tried Softaculous when it first came out and while it was loaded with scripts I did not like the way there was practically no control over the installation.

I hear that softaculous has added more items and made some other changes as well so I MIGHT take another look at it.

Interesting poll.

Softaculous 4 26.67%
Installatron 12 80.00%

106.67% ??? LOL

7 Years using Directadmin, probably 5-6 years using installatron. It just plain works, period.

I'm using Installatron - have been happy with it - no issues at all. Cannot comment on the other as I've never tried it.

Softaculous is poorly written. Looks like an amateur coder made it. Installatron all the way. Of course Installatron could use more scripts but its great.

Interesting poll.

Softaculous 4 26.67%
Installatron 12 80.00%

106.67% ??? LOL

7 Years using Directadmin, probably 5-6 years using installatron. It just plain works, period.

Yes something definitely wrong with the math.

Total votes: 16
4/16 = .25 = 25%
12/16 = .75 = 75%

Installatron vs Softaculous

I offer both. Installatron has the ability to upgrade any version of an item of software to the latest. So if a customer has say Wordpress 1.x (unlikely I know), you can get installatron to install 1.x re-import the database and then ask installatron to upgrade to the latest version, then upload a them. Minutes spent, site modernised.

Softaculous can't do that, but has more software. Some of the installers don't work, so if your have needy users, you could be in for more pain than you bargained for.

Thats my opinion

I offer both. Installatron has the ability to upgrade any version of an item of software to the latest. So if a customer has say Wordpress 1.x (unlikely I know), you can get installatron to install 1.x re-import the database and then ask installatron to upgrade to the latest version, then upload a them. Minutes spent, site modernised.

Softaculous can't do that, but has more software. Some of the installers don't work, so if your have needy users, you could be in for more pain than you bargained for.

Thats my opinion

Do let me know which script installation doesnt work on your server.
We will definitely look into it if you let us know.

Hey everyone,

Phil from Installatron here.

Our product has been around since 2004, has been stable for years on a vast number of server configurations, and is constantly being updated and improved. I think it's the clear winner. :)

Shoot [email protected] an email if anyone has questions or suggestions. We're constantly gathering feedback which guides us for future versions.

Cheers,
Phil.

Last edited:
Back