Domain pointer ( Alias ) without e-mail

ldebrouwer

I have developed a webapplication that I want to offer to third parties on their own domain so I have the following setup:

- domain1.com with the app on subdomain: sub.domain1.com

Now a third party has succesfully alterd their DNS-zone to point sub.domain2.com to my server.

I added an alias from domain2.com to domain1.com in the domain pointers panel.

But when I want to mail the third party on [email protected] the mail bounces because the mail is handled on my server on which the user is not set up.

I alterd the DNS zone for domain2.com on my server so the MX record points to the server on which domain2.com is actually hosted.

This still doesn't seem to work. I'm desparately searching for the "Use this server to handle my emails." option to uncheck for a domainpointer, if you know what I mean.

Any help?

If I understand you correctly ...

You might need to develop your web application to have setup for using their mail server (as opposed to yours) - for this reason you wont need to keep track of all the email domains. Otherwise you're going to have to edit the exim config files to add the domains in (as these aren't populated from DNS) - or write a script to do it.

I'm desparately searching for the "Use this server to handle my emails." option to uncheck for a domainpointer, if you know what I mean.
It's on the user control panel under MX Records.

But it only appears if you have user level DNS turned on for the domain.

Jeff

If its truly a domain pointer then there is no option for mail at all.

Back