Upgrade to INNODB plugin (from builtin)

wtfbrb

Verified User
I saw on another post that the new innodb plugin is part of the custom build...I just installed and configured a new server with innodb built in storage engine. I never saw the plugin as part of the build script (it was on April 1st, so it was after it was added). I've read that since mysql 5.1 it is now possible to change from one to the other without destroying data. This is what I'd like to do, just within the directadmin custombuild. Just to be sure I did download the latest custombuild, what should I run for minimal downtime to just install innodb plugin and touch up my.cnf. (Already backed up my.cnf but not the entire 22G database other than typical nightly backups in each reseller)

Friendly bump

Friendly bumping this, I am willing to backup all databases and restore them if I could figure out how to build with innodb plugin.

I tried

I added
Code:
ignore-builtin-innodb
plugin-load=innodb=ha_innodb_plugin.so
and it wouldn't start, I downloaded the latest rpm and tried to install it and it told me something along the lines of my version of mysql was compiled we'll say "out of the ordinary" reinstall from distro first. Is the plugin installed with custombuild and I just need to edit my.cnf differently? It is a 12gb system all innob any my.cnf suggestions that I could use then just restart mysql?

If custombuild built it then the plugin is there already.
Try to see if setting those can help:
plugin_dir=/usr/local/lib/mysql/plugin/
innodb_data_home_dir =/usr/home/.....
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:1G:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /usr/home/.......

And check your logs. It should tell you something about a failure if it can't start.

Custom built no ha_innodb.so

Ok, this was custom built, and I did updatedb then locate *innodb*so and it returned no results, so I downloaded the generic plugin to a /var/lib/mysql/plugins and I tried:
Code:
#ignore-builtin-innodb
#plugin_dir=/var/lib/mysql/plugins
#plugin-load=ha_innodb.so
Which resulted in the following log:
Code:
100423 02:20:33 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/lib/mysql/kramer.campustown.us.pid ended
100423 02:20:34 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
100423  2:20:34 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
100423  2:20:34 [ERROR] Can't open shared library 'ha_innodb.so' (errno: 0 API version for STORAGE ENGINE plugin is too different)
100423  2:20:34 [ERROR] Couldn't load plugin named 'InnoDB' with soname 'ha_innodb.so'.
100423  2:20:34 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: unknown variable 'innodb_data_home_dir=/var/lib/mysql/'
100423  2:20:34 [ERROR] Aborting
Thanks for the help,

Edit: I've tried both 1.04 and 1.06 from linux generic file from innodb site just to be sure.

I found the plugin dir at plugin_dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin but it only contains ha_example.so and a few other ha_example files but nothing innodb, if I set the plugin dir and disable the innodb builtin it throws errors for invalid variables for all the rest of the innodb location variables.

Last edited:
Struggling

I'd really like to get this figured out, I don't see anything in options.conf and I don't mind rebuilding again using custombuild but I have little faith it was an option I missed on original custombuild. Will I have to ./build all again? Will I lose any data? I did an updatedb and locate *innodb* and it came back with nothing. What do I need to rebuild/reinstall in order to get the plugin installed?

Not even close...

No I was never able to get the plugin working, still using built in. I actually ended up getting setting up a second debian db only server for my heavy db sites. It would still be a great thing to add to options.conf for a custom build though! Maybe make a feature request?

No I was never able to get the plugin working, still using built in. I actually ended up getting setting up a second debian db only server for my heavy db sites. It would still be a great thing to add to options.conf for a custom build though! Maybe make a feature request?

Just use MySQL 5.5 in custombuild. InnoDB Plugin is now default for MySQL 5.5. So, if you can use InnoDB with MySQL 5.5, that means, you are using InnoDB Plugin. Still, you may need to config some setting to use feature available like File per table or Barracuda format.

Back