FR: ManageSieve server

interfasys

Verified User
From the Dovecot Wiki
"...provides mail filtering facilities at time of final message delivery using the Sieve (RFC 5228) language"

Advantages over the current method:
- Any MUA can define filters: Webmail, Thunderbird, DA
- Totally customizable user filters (DA is too SpamAssassin focused)
- Email users can define any kind of filters (vacation, spam filters, etc.) without having to have an account in DA

In order to make this work:
- DA needs to use Dovecot as the LDA
- The Sieve plugin needs to be compiled
- A ManageSieve server needs to be running (Dovecot 2, pysieved)

So now your job is cut out for you :) ...

Figure out how to use Dovecot as the LDA (local delivery agent) and stilll manage all the various kinds of local delivery now managed by DirectAdmin.

Jeff

I agree that this would be great. Is anyone working on a plugin?

And you can help us.

Here's (dovecot.org) the Dovecot wiki article on how to use it with Exim. Of course you'll need to figure out how to use it with the DirectAdmin virtual user system. Once you've figured it all out, come back and post again with your changes and how they work for you :).

Or hire someone to do it for you. Or find someone who needs/wants it badly enough to do it, or to find and hire someone to do it.

I might even be a good candidate if it's to be a paid project, but I have no personal need for it now, and won't be doing it for myself or as a free project anytime soon.

Jeff

Hmm... I thought this was a feature request forum? Or is it considered poor form to request a feature and not offer to figure out how to install it or to pay someone else to do so?

Regardless, I think I will install it on a headless server or two first. I don't know enough about how DA manages local delivery to want to try mucking about with building an interface between it and ManageSieve. Unless it's documented somewhere?

We've been using that setup for well over a year and it's just great. It just doesn't make sense to have email rules and filters in a hosting control panel, unless a user is willing to do everything himself for every email account linked to one of his domains.

Iirc, there are two changes to make to a standard DA setup. You need a custom exim.conf file that uses Dovecot as the LDA and you need to get rid of the DA pages that manage filters. And to make it even better, you can configure quotas in Dovecot and use it for SMTP auth.

Thanks, that's helpful. How do you get rid of the DA pages that manage filters?

Hmm... I thought this was a feature request forum?
It is. But if DirectAdmin staff hasn't responded in almost two years, I'd guess it's not on their radar. In any event, I've just emailed them and brought it to their attention, in case they've missed it.

I'm the person who would most likely write the exim.conf end, hence my responses.

Jeff

Ah, gotcha. Well, I'm definitely interested and would be happy to beta test.

It's not too high up on our priority list at the moment.. however, for the time being, perhaps a guide-form would be a good option.
The exim.conf would really just need a few changes based on this guide.
It shouldn't be too difficult, but we likely wouldn't want to make it default until it's already proven itself using the guide.

I actually found this old email from a client a while back, which could be a good starting point:
> The change required was just adding this to exim's transports:
Code:
dovecot_virtual_delivery:
   driver = pipe
   command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d $local_part@$domain  -f  $sender_address -a $original_local_part@$original_domain
   message_prefix =
   message_suffix =
   delivery_date_add
   envelope_to_add
   return_path_add
   log_output
   user = mail
   temp_errors = 64 : 69 : 70: 71 : 72 : 73 : 74 : 75 : 78
> and then change the virtual_user transport:
>
> transport = dovecot_virtual_delivery
>
> You also have to configure dovecot so it knows where to deliver the mail
> (/etc/dovecot.conf):
>
> Add the auth socket in the auth section:
>
Code:
socket listen {
     master {
       path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
       mode = 0600
       user = mail # User running deliver
     }
   }
>
> and then add the lda section:
>
Code:
protocol lda {
   postmaster_address = [email protected]
   hostname = yourhostname.tld
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
 }
>
> I didn't change the mail delivery for system users in exim, because I
> don't use those. But the same change could be made for those.
Note that I've not tested it, but the client mentions that he has, and seems to be working.

Hope this helps.

John

Haven't had too much time to work on it yet. I tried once, got some errors, and reverted to the previous set up. Hoping to find time before too long...

Back