RoundCube Webmail 0.4-beta

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
roundcube.net said:
A new major release is now available for deep testing. With this version we
fixed over 50 bugs and added new features like threaded message listing and
contact groups support as well as many little improvements that make e-mail
reading with Roundcube an even better experience.

While it's still called a beta release we consider it to be stable enough
for productive environments. However the new features may have some minor
issues which we are happy to hear about.

Attention: Please note that the database schema has changed. Therefore you
should carefully read the UGRADING instructions and make sure you apply the
according SQL statements from SQL/*.update.sql to your database. Run
bin/update.sh to see what needs to be done.
Changelog: http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Changelog

Update using CustomBuild:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set autover no
wget -O roundcubemail-0.4-beta.tar.gz "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/roundcubemail/roundcubemail-beta/0.4-beta/roundcubemail-0.4-beta.tar.gz?use_mirror=ignum"
perl -pi -e 's/roundcubemail:0.3.1:34e8e18772e7eada8769b6c5c20f7c8e/roundcubemail:0.4-beta:ccbae69017c6d0056b12536e5adc52cd/' versions.txt
./build roundcube

Last edited:
smtalk, that worked great!!!

For everyone else new to roundcube I thought I would share a quick howto:

to add all of the approved toys for and shipped with Roundcube which make it very usable as compared to the stock version - add these items to the /var/www/html/roundcube/config/main.inc.php file

look for a line that says
Code:
$rcmail_config['plugins'] = array('password');

and replace it with

Code:
$rcmail_config['plugins'] = array(
'archive',
'autologon',
#'database_attachments',
'debug_logger',
'emoticons',
'example_addressbook',
'filesystem_attachments',
'help',
'http_authentication',
'managesieve',
'markasjunk',
'new_user_dialog',
'new_user_identity',
'password',
'show_additional_headers',
'squirrelmail_usercopy',
'subscriptions_option',
'userinfo',
'vcard_attachments',
'virtuser_file',
'virtuser_query'
);
several of them have config files in their respective plugin folders - you need to copy the config.inc.php.dist that comes with them to config.inc.php and then edit it. ( most of them are fine as they are but you still need to copy them to activate the plugin.
cd /var/www/html/roundcube/plugins
then navigate to the plugin folder you want to edit.
cp config.inc.php.dist config.inc.php
nano -w config.inc.php

I only have 2 things that I have not figured out

"Unable to connect to managesieve server" to manage email filters that should redirect emails to sub folders based on a filter rule you create. I noticed that I needed to keep Squirrelmail running in another browser window to keep running those rules - a bit of a nuisance really - it would be nice if I could edit rules within Roundcube's own rule filter system instead of having to go back to Squirrelmail to create rules. It would also be nice if Roundcube and Squirrelmail edited the same set of rules.

I did the following and edited the config.inc.php file but it made no difference - from what I can see the default values are probably correct.
Code:
cd /var/www/html/roundcube/plugins/managesieve/
mv config.inc.php.dist config.inc.php
nano -w config.inc.php

Poking around the web - it seems that "sieve" and dovecot and spamassassin don't all exactly work together happy - yet. I see that DirectAdmin custombuild does not include the dovecot sieve plugin. http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/Dovecot

Any help out there getting this going with Roundcube?
=====================================

Identities don't work - probably because they need an LDAP service which isn't normally provided as part of web hosting.

There are many other Roundcube plugins. The ones I mentioned here are the ones that are installed but not activated during the initial Roundcube setup.

I'd also like to see a feature in Roundmail that I see and use in Squirrelmail - the ability to toggle all rows on a page to apply "Read/Unread/Delete" flags to. Apparently all you do is mark as many as you want with your Shift key and click on the "Mark" icon above the list to mark as read or unread. If you want to delete then mark them and drag them to the Trash folder.

If you want something even more powerful then go to at http://www.tehinterweb.co.uk/roundcube/#pisieverules - they have one called "Contextmenu" - I added that one and "Mark as Junk 2" and "Copy Message" to my plugins folder. Now everything is right click ready with extra options not found in the standard install.

For a full list of plugins that are available go here - http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Plugin_Repository
For a list of SKINS/THEMES go here - http://www.roundcubeforum.net/8-themes-styling/28-theme-releases/?daysprune=365

Last edited:
Dovecotsieve is very easy to install and there should be no interferences with Spamassassin if you use a standard DA Exim.conf. If you want sieve to do all the work, you have to remember to tell SA to deliver everything in the inbox.
If you want to manage your filters from the client you need to make sure that port 2000 is open on the firewall.

interfasys,

you bring up some important questions.

Do I want my client software to do all the work? Probably not - since Spamassassin is doing a great job for everyone on the server I don't want to disturb what it is doing for all other client software (Outlook, Thunderbird, Squirrelmail). I want the client software to filter what is left after Spamassassin is done marking emails as spam. In my default spamassassin setup I have Spamassassin marking spam as *****SPAM***** and forwarding it as an attachment to the account holders email client.

If Dovecotsieve is easy to install - do you have distinct and specific instructions on how to accomplish this on a stock DA/Exim/Spamassassin/Custombuild install that already has all of the latest DA approved upgrades on a Centos 5.X box? Port 2000 should be open on the firewall - incoming or outgoing or both and TCP or UDP?

A nice easy set of SSH commands would be nice for all of us techie but not linux guru level users.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood me :)
You can setup the rules using the client or the webmail, but it's still Dovecot that will do the work and move messages delivered into the Inbox.
There is nothing to change in the SA config. Customers can decide to only tag messages and let their personlized sieve rules place those in certain folders like Junk in Thunderbird.

Also, you need more than the plugin for things to work. The plugin will only apply rules. It won't let Roundcube create or manage rules. For that you need this:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve

I'm not sure a howto is necessary, everything is in the wiki.
1) Compile Dovecot
2) Compile sieve plugin
3) Compile managesieve (./configure --with-dovecot=<dovecot source tree> --with-dovecot-sieve=<dovecot-sieve source tree>)

interfasys,

thank you for clarifying that for me.
The problem with the wiki is that it suggest compiling to folders not supported by DA. I would prefer to do it the DirectAdmin way so that there are no conflicts with future custombuild upgrades as they come along.

That is why I was asking for a specific Directadmin/custombuild set of instructions. Do you have any line by line instructions for doing all this without making me guess wrongly and screwing things up?

daveyw,

I also noticed the "identities" bug in 0.4 beta - I posted to the roundcube forum to point that out.
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/6-svn...y-not-available-error-no-500-a.html#post27623
Hopefully they have that fixed soon.

Once you do this, you won't be able to upgrade dovecot with custombuild as it will overwrite everything.
Custombuild needs to be modified to have an extra switch that compiles both dovecot and managesieve at the same time. It's very easy to add.

Here is something that should work. You need to have unpacked Dovecot and to have the plugin installed already.
Code:
# cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/dovecot-<version>
# wget dovecot-1.2.X-managesieve-<version>.diff.gz
# gzip -dc dovecot-1.2.X-managesieve-<version>.diff.gz | patch -p1
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --without-gssapi
# gmake
# gmake install
# cd ..
# wget dovecot-1.2-managesieve-<version>.tar.gz
# tar zxvf dovecot-1.2-managesieve-<version>.tar.gz
# cd dovecot-1.2-managesieve-<version>
# ./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-<version> --with-dovecot-sieve=../dovecot-<version>-sieve-<version>
# gmake
# gmake install

interfasys,

are you sure about this line?

Code:
# ./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-<version> --with-dovecot-sieve=../dovecot-<version>-sieve-<version>

in your example instructions you never mention dovecot-<version>-sieve-<version> and suddenly this line is using it. Are you referring to managesieve-<version> since that is what we were untaring? Or did you miss a step and we also need to wget and untar the dovecot-<version>-sieve-<version>
Please clarify

interfasys,

OK, it didn't compile properly until I added the wget and compile of sieve.

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/dovecot-1.2.11
wget dovecot-1.2.X-managesieve-<version>.diff.gz
gzip -dc dovecot-1.2.11-managesieve-0.11.11.diff.gz | patch -p1

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --without-gssapi
gmake
gmake install

cd ..
wget http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.2/dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.16.tar.gz
tar -zxvf dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.16.tar.gz

cd dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.16
./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-1.2.11/
gmake
gmake install

cd ..
wget http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.2/dovecot-1.2-managesieve-0.11.11.tar.gz
tar -zxvf dovecot-1.2-managesieve-0.11.11.tar.gz
cd dovecot-1.2-managesieve-0.11.11
./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-1.2.11 --with-dovecot-sieve=../dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.16
gmake
gmake install

but Roundcube still says it could not connect to managesive. I imagine it is the managesieve config.inc.php settings that may be wrong - which folder would I point it to for filters?

Did this:

Update using CustomBuild:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set autover no
wget -O roundcubemail-0.4-beta.tar.gz "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/roundcubemail/roundcubemail-beta/0.4-beta/roundcubemail-0.4-beta.tar.gz?use_mirror=ignum"
perl -pi -e 's/roundcubemail:0.3.1:34e8e18772e7eada8769b6c5c20f7c8e/roundcubemail:0.4-beta:ccbae69017c6d0056b12536e5adc52cd/' versions.txt
./build roundcube

Then did this:

and replace it with
Code:
$rcmail_config['plugins'] = array(
'archive',
'autologon',
#'database_attachments',
'debug_logger',
'emoticons',
'example_addressbook',
'filesystem_attachments',
'help',
'http_authentication',
'managesieve',
'markasjunk',
'new_user_dialog',
'new_user_identity',
'password',
'show_additional_headers',
'squirrelmail_usercopy',
'subscriptions_option',
'userinfo',
'vcard_attachments',
'virtuser_file',
'virtuser_query'
);

My results are:

• When Composing and entering Recipient email address, a "searching" window opens and states: "Server Error! (SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE)" Email sends ok.

• In address book; unable to create new contact card. When clicking on the :create new contact card incon, Message states the requested contact was not found.

• My address book is now empty. Were only 5 or 6 before upgrade (see next bullet).

• A couple of my contacts (first two contacts from the address book) are now identities???

• When attampting to save an Identity I get the message: "SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error No. [500]"

Problems may be related to this mess:

Last edited:
RoundCube + Suhosin

Code:
ERROR: Wrong 'suhosin.session.encrypt' option value. Read REQUIREMENTS section in INSTALL file or use Roundcube Installer, please!

it works fine, only when setting:
Code:
[suhosin]
suhosin.session.encrypt = Off

When attampting to save an Identity I get the message: "SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error No. [500]"
I have the same issue, but when trying to login...

Last edited:
I had to resinstall mysql and roundcube to make things work.

I'm not sure what broke things, but it all started after running various ./build commands.

I've searched in roundcube and possibly I found the problem.
I've tried to update from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1, since now I got ERROR 500.

With some search I've found out that the MySQL database aren't updated. In the newer version there are more tables like 'html_signature'. So if someone wants to add/edit the identity it can't.

Maybe this is also the issue with 0.4-beta.

There should be sql updates that you can run in the SQL folder.

mysql.update.sql

Is custombuild not injecting this sql?

Before updating I looked at roundcube's website. It referred to additional tables and an update script. I "assumed" that the ./build script, which was mentioned in the start this thread ran the required mysql update (don't know if it did or didn't).

Somehow, throughout the the upgrade process I broke mysql and roundcube. Both had to be reinstalled to work. I'm running FreeBSD 7.2-CURRENT if it matters.

Cheers

There should be sql updates that you can run in the SQL folder.

mysql.update.sql

Is custombuild not injecting this sql?
I did it manually, but there are no changes what I can see.

The database structure is little bit different from the 'older' versions. Old one just have 'signature', the new one has also 'html_signature'.

When I'm trying to save, it gives a error in the log about html_signature doesn't exists.
Somehow, throughout the the upgrade process I broke mysql and roundcube. Both had to be reinstalled to work. I'm running FreeBSD 7.2-CURRENT if it matters.
No, when I did the update it didn't broke anything. I'm using CentOS 5.5 x86_64.

After doing the SQL query the problem resolved (for 1.3.1).
Go to da_roundcube in phpmyadmin, go to SQL and paste the SQL query
ALTER TABLE `identities` ADD `html_signature` INT NULL DEFAULT NULL AFTER `signature`
With v04 beta the problem is
[Native message: Table 'da_roundcube.contactgroups' doesn't exist]
Trying to run the 'mysql.update.sql' fails
ERROR 1091 (42000) at line 6: Can't DROP 'idx'; check that column/key exists
I've copied the 2 CREATE commands for 'contactgroupmembers' and 'contactgroups' and did that manually, also still get a ERROR 500. But no new errors / specifications in errors log-file.

Last edited:
Back