Quotas not work on zfs mounted /home?

Some googling shows that as recently as a bit over a year ago ZFS didn't support quotas. So the best thing would be for you to start googling for zfs quota support.

Jeff

quotaoff quotaon quotacheck repquota...all not work on zfs?
You'll be able to use the zfs commands from September (or now if you're on 8.1).
The only "problem" is that it requires custom scripts since I'm not sure DA staff is going to support ZFS.

Hello,

I've never even heard of it.. nor have we had any requests for it. If there is only 1 request, it's not likely we'd add it, but if there is more demand for it, we could look into it.

John

There is more demand, i am requesting the same thing for our servers!

interfasys, until we waiting for DA to officially support this you was able to fiigure out a workaround ? You mentioned using some custom scripts...

You can create a custom filesystem per user using the pre sh script and add some monitoring to cron jobs, etc.

That's complicated on an existing DA installation on ZFS and with hundreds of accounts...

John, the problem is not hard to fix from DA and i know additional people having the same problem on ZFS. Wondering when we can hope the problem to be fixed...

I need this too!

ZFS rules, so does DA and it would be great if we could use both together with quotas. ZFS has supported quotas for a long time, at partition level. As one can create an almost unlimited number of partitions with ZFS, I imagine the best way forward would be to create one per DA user.

I have installed DA on FreeBSD 8.1 with ZFS and it seems to be working well on the whole. Has anyone in a comparable situation found any pitfalls?

Hi,

Creating a partition for each user probably is going to slow down the speed or so...

Also, this is kind of impossible to migrate on an existing ZFS + DA with lot of users already added...

I'm currently working with Martynas on this.

Can someone paste me the output from the command to list all Users? I don't have zfs setup anywhere, just need to see what the dump looks like (and the command to do it) so I can write the parser.

John

Hi John.

zfs currently only supports user accounting in zfsv15, which is not in freebsd 8.1 release hence it not been common place yet. It will be in FreeBSD 8.2 as is currently in FreeBSD 8-STABLE.

to read usage in zfs you dont need to set a quota.

There is the following command available.

Code:
# zfs get userused@vox tank/home
NAME       PROPERTY      VALUE         SOURCE
tank/home  userused@vox  130M          local

# cd ~vox
# du -h
<snip>
130M

if using the other command you used it is not accurate all "userspace"

you cannot as far as I know list all the users usage at once, it has to be requested seperatly.

you will probably need to have the fileset name as a configurable setting in directadmin.conf. This will only account for data on the fileset, so not /var and probably not database as db owned by mysql user.

Last edited:
a stumbling block also will be it doesnt always report in same way.

here is a low usage user reported in K not M.

Code:
NAME       PROPERTY          VALUE             SOURCE
tank/home  userused@testzfs  50K               local

and for large usage G

Code:
# zfs get userused@amicii tank/home
NAME       PROPERTY         VALUE            SOURCE
tank/home  userused@amicii  1.03G            local

#zfs get userused@fagaras tank/home
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
tank/home userused@fagaras 995M local

For mb sizes...

Chrysalis properly mentioned the most ugly thing is the missing reporting side. Basically is almost impossible to do shared/reseller hosting on DA without having reporting to work.

I have successfuly emulated the ufs repquota command and have this working on a server. Have sent John a version of the script. Its not perfect yet, I already fixed a problem on it after sent to him and will need a way to change the fileset name for the system but otherwise works great, the G M K issue for gigabyte kilobyte etc. is no longer a problem as can now always display in bytes.

Hi All,

sorry for digging up an old thread, but it seems there's still no support for ZFS quota reporting in DirectAdmin.

@Chrysalis:
Are you willing to share your repquota adaption for ZFS?

Back