Couple general DA questions

voytek

Verified User
I am a web designer (involved mostly in graphic part), and I build a server to host websites mostly for my clients (shared hosting), but i need an option, that i could host VPS. I need a control panel that could control that ( shared hosting and virtual server). I looked around, and I know DA can manage shared hosting, what about VPSs? Can i create/add virtual servers in DA-and how? If not - how can I make my dreams come true :).
Would DA control xen, or openvm?
Is DA Scalable? - can i add more servers as I need?
Like I said - I am more of graphic, then programing person.
Any help, suggestions very appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Voytek

HyperVM looks very interesting to me as we move into a VS environment, but at least one of my corespondents doesn't seem to like it. Do you have good experience with it? Have you found any problems with it?

Has it recovered from it's meltdown of last year?

Jeff

I was in the middle of learning it when the meltdown occurred. It looked very promising. Its a shame that HyperVM got a bad rep when it was not even a problem with HyperVM.

Thanks for replys,
what is the best practice?
Hypervm for shared and vps, or hypervm for vps, and DA for shared?
do you know if i can manage them both in one billing system- awbs or WHMCS or some other one.

voytek

It appears to be back and strong. That said, I really like the flexibility of CloudMin; I just don't know if I want to spend the money on our first trek into the world of VS.

For those of us who don't know what we mean by the meltdown...

A huge VPS farm using HyperVM was hacked and everything was lost. HyperVM was blamed. To make a long story short, the project leader (who had a history of mental problems) committed suicide. It was later found that the problem was not with HyperVM at all.

They're now back, appear from their website to be stronger than ever, open-source, and free.

The Wikipedia article is here.

Jeff

that hypervm looks good- and there is kloxo. Is that kloxo DA competitor?
so to provide a shared hosting, and VPS, I will need both?

I am just shopping for ideas, before i decide which software/ control panel I go with. I LIKE the open source, but I have no problem paying for something that is "better"

Thanks

Kloxo is an open source hosting control panel. I don't consider it a competitor and I'm very happy to use DirectAdmin. It has nothing to do with HyperVM except that they're both from the same group.

I like HyperVM. I love DirectAdmin. :D

Jeff

<BLUSH>

Thanks!

If I haven't made it clear, I'm not yet using HyperVM; I'm only studying it. I have a new server on order; I may decide to install HyperVM on it.

Jeff

Please contact me by email (see email address below in my sig), or at my US or UK telephone number +44 (0) 203 004 9205 to discuss this.

I'm also looking at CloudMin; yes, it's more expensive than SolusVM, but if I'm going to spend money, I like the multi-level solution offered by CloudMin.

Comments?

I look forward to hearing from you, since my new server will be available for configuration any day now.

Jeff

Cloudmin looks good - but I think is a little pricey ...

vePortal is $119.40 (ulimited VM) per year - per node
fluidvm is $300 (50 VM min purchase) per year - per node
fluidvm is $499 (unlimited VM) perpetual - per node
virtuozzo pricing isn't published to the public - silly really

vmware esx essentials is $495 (50% off at the moment until Jun 15th) - 1 year

VMware vSphere 4 Essentials Bundle includes:

* 3 licenses of VMware ESXi and VMware ESX (deployment-time choice)
* VMFS (Virtual Machine File System)
* 4-way Virtual SMP
* VMware vCenter Server Agent
* VMware vStorage APIs / VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB)
* VMware Update Manager
* VMware vCenter Server for Essentials

The vmware deal is probably the most cost effective and highest platform offering. The only problem is that it doesn't come with a control panel - however check this out:

vcloud

Back