Has anyone else noticed this with Webalizer?

digilexic

Verified User
When I use the webalizer stats, the pie chart at the end that shows where people are accessing from by country (I think) always is entirely green and says "unknown".

On the other servers I have had, this portion of the stats has always worked, however it seems to not be working under my DirectAdmin server at all. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Yes, I have same problem, the visitor locations are all unknown and green, with not 1 visitor from other nations which I know is wrong. It always worked with other weblizer I had running on old Raq3.

Anyone know how to fix this?

John,

That'll only work of webalizer was compiled for DNS lookups.

If I recall correctly, you leave it up to us to install Webalizer from RHL RPMs when installing for RHL; I don't know if RH compiled for DNS lookups or not.

Has anyone tried John's fix yet?

On what OS? On what version?

Where did you get webalizer from?

Does it work?

Thanks.

Jeff

Originally posted by jlasman Has anyone tried John's fix yet? On what OS? On what version? Where did you get webalizer from? Does it work? Thanks. Jeff

Tried John's link but being a non-geek of course did not understand what to do or get to first base. I am using XP and the Weblizer came with my Direct Admin Server. It was already installed. I used weblizer twice in the past on 2 different Cobalt Raq3's and there was never any confiuration needed.

The Nations where the visitors came from always worked in the past and were never 100% Green, right out of the box so to speak. Why would extra configuration and more complexity be required with Direct Admin?

Since I have been coming here there have been a number of others who report this same exact problem but an easy solution seems tough to get. It should be configured correctly in the first place with no extra work required. No ideas why this is a common issue as it should not be even an issue let alone difficult to resolve.

Uhhm, this one is rather easy...

Take your main httpd.conf and turn resolving for ip's ON, this will allow webalizer to do it. Note that it WILL slow down apache a bit.

I don't know if John's fix also works, but this is the normal solution to the problem as far as i know.

RealNames: If you have root access to the server and need assistance, you can pm or e-mail me and i'll do it for ya (yes, this will be for free, as it only takes 1 rehash and 3 minutes of VI).

RealNames said:
I used weblizer twice in the past on 2 different Cobalt Raq3's and there was never any confiuration needed.

The Nations where the visitors came from always worked in the past and were never 100% Green, right out of the box so to speak. Why would extra configuration and more complexity be required with Direct Admin?
RaQ3 systems didn't come with Webalizer, so it depends on where you got your copy from.

As I recall, the two most popular Webalizer addons for RaQ3 came from SolarSpeed and from Pkgmaster.

The ones installed on your RaQs must have had IP# resolution and DNS location enabled.

Since I have been coming here there have been a number of others who report this same exact problem but an easy solution seems tough to get. It should be configured correctly in the first place with no extra work required. No ideas why this is a common issue as it should not be even an issue let alone difficult to resolve.
It's an issue because DA runs on lots of different OSes, and has no control over how Webalizer is compiled. So by default it's left turned off.

John has already explained one way to turn it on, and Icheb another. Whether or not they'll work depends on how Webalizer was compiled on your system.

Jeff

Icheb said:
Note that it WILL slow down apache a bit.

I don't know if John's fix also works, but this is the normal solution to the problem as far as i know.
Either will work. Your solution will slow down apache, John's solution does all the resolving at webalizer, so apache runs faster but webalizer takes longer.

It's your choice :) .

I still don't know if my webalizer (RHL 7.3) has been compiled for it or not; I suppose I can try :) .

Jeff

Back