Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Exim sending messages with ip assigned to other users

Thank you Alex for getting us so close to a request/suggestion/solution that's nearly 4 years in the making! Awesome.

So I guess the last piece of the puzzle is to automate the updating of the exim.conf file and the reloading/restarting of exim.conf

I don't know how to do this but I'm guessing it'd be done with perl or python. We might find the line # in the file that begins with local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 and then rewrite it including the list of all available IP's on the machine.

###START ADDED###
    disable_ipv6
    local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : 211.82.195.29 : 211.82.195.118 : 211.82.195.119 : 211.82.195.120
    smtp_active_hostname = ${lookup{$interface_address}lsearch{/etc/virtual/smtp_active_hostnames}{$value}}
    smtp_banner = "$smtp_active_hostname ESMTP $tod_full"
    ###END ADDED###

Thoughts?

And Alex, please PM me with your paypal so that I can send you a small donation if you are interested. I really appreciate your efforts.

John

Code:
    sed -i 'smtp_banner = /d' /etc/exim.conf
    sed -i 'smtp_active_hostname = /d' /etc/exim.conf
    sed -i 'local_interfaces = /d' /etc/exim.conf
    sed -i 'disable_ipv6/d' /etc/exim.conf
    echo -e 'smtp_banner = "$smtp_active_hostname ESMTP $tod_full"\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf
    echo -e 'smtp_active_hostname = ${lookup{$interface_address}lsearch{/etc/virtual/smtp_active_hostnames}{$value}}"\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf
    echo -e 'local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : 211.82.195.29 : 211.82.195.118 : 211.82.195.119 : 211.82.195.120"\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf
    echo -e 'disable_ipv6"\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf
    This will add the lines at the top of the file (deleting them if already exist, so, will create them everytime those new lines)

For the IP list you can add those lines to last Alex's script and use the $IP variable.

I have no time now for integrate them, but i suppose that on eache discovered IP ti must be added in a new variable,

ex:
    IPSPACED="$IP : "
    IPS="$IPS$IPSPACED"

so the first time will be empty and get filled every new IP, and use $IPS in local_interface.

examples

local_interfaces = $IPS
    or
    local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : $IPS (if 127.0.0.1 is not discovered by Alex's script)

Regards
    SeLLeRoNe - Andrea Iannucci
    Head of Managed Service - Senior DevOps Engineer
    If you need my support write me an E-Mail to Support@CrazyNetwork.it

Ha... I tried the above and failed MISERABLY! Anyone available to put this together? This would put a bow on the whole thing. Then who knows, maybe it could be added into a CustomBuild at some future time.

Big THANK YOU's to everyone who has contributed.

@jkirker:

Feel free to call me to discuss specifics.

Jeff
    +1 951 643-5345
    Third-Party DirectAdmin administration and support
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Reseller Accounts
    NoBaloney Internet Services div. Qnito Incorporated
    848 North Rainbow Blvd., Suite #3789
    Las Vegas, NV 89107-1103

Quote Originally Posted by jkirker View Post
    Thank you Alex for getting us so close to a request/suggestion/solution that's nearly 4 years in the making! Awesome.

So I guess the last piece of the puzzle is to automate the updating of the exim.conf file and the reloading/restarting of exim.conf

John
    Hello John,

Please let me a couple of days, and I'll suggest my sollution for it.

A couple of suggestions
    • Naming: It might be worth using something generic for files. We use domainips and reverse_domainips, but anything which describes the content rather than the use might be more useful in the long run
    • IPV6: Make the scripts IPv6 compatible or you'll end up with broken IP databases
    • Deprecated variables: $interface_address has been replaced by $received_ip_address when receiving emails in order to avoid confusion. DOC
    • iplsearch: Exim comes with various lookup tools. One of them is iplsearch which is designed specifically for IPs, including masks. DOC
    • Defaults: By reading the Exim condition which determines the active hostname, it seems to me like there is no default value to use as a fallback, which means that Exim will fail to receive emails if it can't determine the hostname to use. I could be wrong though

Examples:
    Receiving
    Code:
    smtp_active_hostname = ${lookup{$received_ip_address}iplsearch{/etc/virtual/domainips}{$value}{$primary_hostname}}
    Sending
    Code:
    interface = <; ${lookup{$sender_address_domain}lsearch{/etc/virtual/domainips_reverse} {$value}{$interface_address}}
    helo_data can use the same code used for smtp_active_hostname, without having to create additional symlinks

Also, it's possible to avoid having to create any files if using DNS lookups, but that slows down processing.
    Olivier
    interfaCentre - We design custom hosting solutions

Custom apps, scripts and configurations for easy and secure access to all hosting services
    Full Personal Information Management suite with mobile synchronisation
    PHP, Ruby, Node.js and Python hosting with 1-click app install

Quote Originally Posted by interfasys View Post
    A couple of suggestions
    • Deprecated variables: $interface_address has been replaced by $received_ip_address when receiving emails in order to avoid confusion. DOC

Sending
    Code:
    interface = <; ${lookup{$sender_address_domain}lsearch{/etc/virtual/domainips_reverse} {$value}{$interface_address}}
    helo_data can use the same code used for smtp_active_hostname, without having to create additional symlinks

Also, it's possible to avoid having to create any files if using DNS lookups, but that slows down processing.
    If $interface_address is deprecated, then shouldn't the above example be this:

Code:
    interface = <; ${lookup{$sender_address_domain}lsearch{/etc/virtual/domainips_reverse} {$value}{$received_ip_address}}

Quote Originally Posted by SeLLeRoNe View Post
    Code:
    echo -e 'local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : 211.82.195.29 : 211.82.195.118 : 211.82.195.119 : 211.82.195.120"\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf
    That puts quotation marks at the end of the IP list", which invalidates the format. Should be:

Code:
    echo -e 'local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : 211.82.195.29 : 211.82.195.118 : 211.82.195.119 : 211.82.195.120\n'"$(cat /etc/exim.conf)"'' > /etc/exim.conf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345