SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC now ready for testing

Since you've changed everything you've removed all the clues we could use to help you. You can assure us of all you want, but you'll have to fix it yourself if you're not willing to give us unadulterated information so we can test.

The only thing I've changed was the hostname and ip-address, because I don't think it matters what the hostname or ip-address is. It could easily be smtp3.google.com and 74.125.121.57, but I don't think it's nice to post the hostname of our client.
If so, please tell me why.

Is there a known ETA for final?

Is there a known ETA for final?

Hi guys. Great work on all of this. Sounds like SpamBlocker 3 is ready (with the addition of these few suggestions listed above).

I have not used any beta or RC versions due to all the conflicting info and fixes in these boards because I do not know enough about most of this to implement and edit this until everyone feels it is ready and as good as it's going to get for a while. So I have been patiently waiting for a very, very, very long time, like others have I am sure.

I am just trying to determine if I should install the latest RC and/or make its or wait for the final if it is very, very soon.

What is left to do before the final is ready and is there an ETA?

If it is going to be a little while (which is fine) does someone have/know the latest RC with the recommended/latest additions/corrections I would need to make recently discussed to basically make my own final and implement it, at least for now.

:) Thank you all very much for all of your hardwork and time!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Sorry, it should have been out by now...

My main office computer was down a whole week; made it hard to work. Everything's back up and backups are all restored (nothing is lost). But now I have to catch up on client support and emails; then I can pick up on it. Hopefully a week or less to the final RC, then another week to final.

Jeff

Hi

I've successfully setup the 3.2.6 RC release running Dovecot 2.0.beta5 (2d6cf78982dc) and Exim 4.

Thanks for your efforts

I just got this message today

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

receiver-address
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<receiver-address>:
host mail.domain-of-receiver.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 550 Email blocked by block.rhs.mailpolice.com

When I checked domain mailpolice.com, it seems expired already. You might want to remove it from the anti-spam filters list

Hello

Same here.

Desactivating that for the moment.

Comment out
deny message = Email blocked by $dnslist_domain
hosts = !+relay_hosts
domains = +use_rbl_domains
!authenticated = *
dnslists = \
rhsbl.ahbl.org/$sender_address_domain : \
block.rhs.mailpolice.com/$sender_address_domain
Then restart exim and it should be ok.

@Jeff

First, love the spamblocker :)

Second.....is there a way to check if the SPAM blocklist is available or if it still exists? To prevent this from happening in the future? Do not think a simple DNS check will do...because the domain is still there....other thoughts?

The block.rhs.mailpolice.com list caused many issues for me today!! It was a disaster. My customers were mot receiving email.

I have now removed it from the 'exim.conf' file on all my servers and everything is working fine now.

Maybe there can be a check if the checks fails or not, if it fails it shouldnt say "spam", but should ignore the RBL ?

looks like block.rhs.mailpolice.com closed or forgot to renew domain.
both way i guess it is better to remove it from exim.conf

I blocked out only the one line instead of both block lists.
HTML:
deny message = Email blocked by $dnslist_domain
hosts = !+relay_hosts
domains = +use_rbl_domains
!authenticated = *
dnslists = \
rhsbl.ahbl.org/$sender_address_domain
#rhsbl.ahbl.org/$sender_address_domain : \
#block.rhs.mailpolice.com/$sender_address_domain

As you can see I commented out both lines and added a new line just above them with the remaining block list properly formatted without the : \

I wanted the original code intact just in case the block.rhs.mailpolice.com comes back online.

Last edited:
I've removed mailpolice.com from the main code and I've published instructions for cleaning current installations, this morning, as soon as one of my clients contacted me with the problem (and before I even worked on my own systems).

I try hard to maintain the blocklists, but unless one of the spam lists makes an announcement (this morning when I did the work I didn't see one; if you did, let me know and I'll subscribe) it's not easy for me to catch.

@daveyw, and others:

I haven't figured out an easy way to check, especially not in the exim.conf file.

Perhaps counting the number of daily hits on each blocklist we use (easy enough with the rejectlog file) and then if the numbers go drastically higher, send an email?

For what it's worth, if you write my support email address (figure it out; I'm not posting it here :) it rings a bell in my home office. Hopefully if I'm home I'll hear it even if I'm not at my computer.

I give my contract clients ways to reach me 24/7.

I do what I can.

And I still recommend blocklists in spite of issues such as these.

Jeff

I just got this message today

When I checked domain mailpolice.com, it seems expired already. You might want to remove it from the anti-spam filters list

It makes me want to remove ALL spam blocking. I missed a very important email today because of this. I would rather have sorted through a 10,000 spams rather than miss this one email.

Jeff I appreciate what you are doing and I know I use SpamBlocker at my own risk. So I am not blaming you at all. Spam is just not that big of a problem for me to risk losing important email.

I am not sure if it's the time of spamming, or because of version 3.2.6-RC, but I got more "financial" spam than version 3.2.5. Messages like "my husband die and I want to transfer fund out of country, etc." keep coming in. Is there anyone notice the same?

It makes me want to remove ALL spam blocking. I missed a very important email today because of this. I would rather have sorted through a 10,000 spams rather than miss this one email.

Jeff I appreciate what you are doing and I know I use SpamBlocker at my own risk. So I am not blaming you at all. Spam is just not that big of a problem for me to risk losing important email.

That is why i use a internal whitelisting to ensure, i always get that important email i need to have, on my most known professionnel address... Yet with 300 clients on the box, i cannot afford leaving spamblocking aside...

You should give a try to destination blocks/accepts configurations in exim.conf

Can you give more details please?

That is why i use a internal whitelisting to ensure, i always get that important email i need to have, on my most known professionnel address... Yet with 300 clients on the box, i cannot afford leaving spamblocking aside...

You should give a try to destination blocks/accepts configurations in exim.conf

You can use any of the local whitelists provided in your copy of exim.conf, or you can write your own additional code in the applicable ACLs. The latter of course requires a bit of learning a bit about how exim works.

Jeff

SpamBlocker for Sale or Open License?

Hi Jeff -

Will SpamBlocker 3 be a commercial plugin for DA or will you offer the plugin free on an open license?

Also, as a potential customer :) is this something that I use "In Addition to" Spamassassin or as an alternative to Spamassassin?

As a moderate level server admin, I've been following your post with great interest, but I have been to afraid to install the plugin in fear of causing problems with our server. (I know enough to make me dangerous :eek:)

Do you have a URL with information, screen shots, instructions, etc?

Thank you for your time,

Eric Bergez
Broadband Comedy Network, Inc.
http://www.bcnonline.com

Back