SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC now ready for testing

SpamBlocker is not a plugin. It's my name for my exim.conf file development for servers running DirectAdmin. I'm attempting to avoid confusion: the next version, when released, will be known as a SpamBlocker Technology-powered exim.conf file.

My file simply replaces the exim.conf file on your server, but it does require certain files exist in your /etc/virtual directory path.

DirectAdmin has used various earlier versions of my file for many years; I wrote my first such file soon after DirectAdmin switched from exim 3.x to exim 4.x, as DirectAdmin's original rewrite of exim.conf for Exim.4 used a script written by the author of exim; it didn't take advantage of any of the new features of Exim.4. For example, it accepted mail before checking to see if the user existed on the server.

Today DirectAdmin still uses an earlier version of my file; you can find it here (files.directadmin.com).

Even DirectAdmin's distributed version requires special files in /etc/virtual, but they've added them to the DirectAdmin install when they switched over to my file.

In the past two publishers have offered plugins to edit the files required by SpamBlocker Technology-powered exim.conf files; you can search for them on these forums. I don't know if either of them are still distributed, but I do know that neither of them manage all the files required by my latest version.

You can add the files to the DirectAdmin file editor and edit them as admin, or you can log in and manage them through the shell. I manage them through the shell, but I can't speak for others.

I don't write plugins. If I were to have one written I'd pay someone to write it and to assign copyright to me, and then I'd charge for it. But hopefully I can leave that up to someone else.

Note that documention in my beta RC versions is included mostly inline (with some important ReadMe information), but when finally released documentation will be in a separate file.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Where can I find SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC exim.conf?
Wanna test it too.

need suggestion about spamblocker and spamassassin

I confused about the spamblocker and spamassassin. Should I run both SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC and spamassassin 3.3.1 together?

I confused about the spamblocker and spamassassin. Should I run both SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC and spamassassin 3.3.1 together?

That is your choice. I choose not to use SpamAssassin because of too many false positives. 1 is too many for me.

We have SpamAssassin running on our servers and leave it up to our clients to decide whether to run it or not.

Jeff

Hi

Does SpamBlocker's whitelist mirror SpamAssassin's whitelist?

I don't see how it could since YOU have to fill out the 4 whitelist files for SpamBlocker. Read the exim files.

Since I'm the author of SpamBlocker I'll give you a definitive reply.

I wrote SpamBlocker originally to use instead of SpamAssassin, so I never even considered using anything from SpamAssassin.

Now I use both, but since they're very different in how they catch and even in what they catch as spam, I've never considered sharing the files.

You can easily write a script to mirror the files if you'd like.

Jeff

There's still an issue in this version with the spamassassin logic. Currently messages are checked by SA if there is no 'X-Spam-Flag:' header. However we've seen a recent rise of incoming spam messages with this header already set so they bypass the spam filter and leads to complaints from customers.

Maybe we should remove these headers on incoming messages right before they are passed through spamassassin? Any other suggestions?
Know how to do this? Post the code and tell me where to put it and it'll get into this version of SpamBlocker. But in the next day or two, please.

While BigWill says that this doesn't happen, it could simply be that it happens in later parsing to decide where to forward the email, and that's why some email isn't making it into spambox. Note that I don't really worry too much about SpamAssassin but if someone has a definitive answer I can test by the end of the weekend I'm interested.

Jeff

It got delayed a week. I'm finishing up this week. This particular part though? No one responded :(.

Jeff

Just waiting for the release :)

The concerns about "X-Spam-Flag" are important, but i cant help so...

Good luck,
Sky

Back