multi server setup - Does it work in this way?

franky

Verified User
I would like to have 2 dns server with mail & web service seperately

Server A
ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com
mail.domain.com

Server B
ns3.domain.com
ns4.domain.com
www.domain.com

What i have done with DA:
Server A - DA (ns1.domain.com is entered during installation)
All DNS record of domain.com is added.
ns1.domain.com 123.456.789.000
ns2.domain.com 123.456.789.001
ns3.domain.com 123.456.789.002
ns4.domain.com 123.456.789.003
multi server setup is on.
All Local Data of all domain records is Yes except domain.com

Server B - DA (ns3.domain.com is entered during installation)
multi server setup is on.
All Local Data of all domain records is No

What I would like to know:
1. ALL DNS record should be copy to server B, correct? (i found that i have to mod the record so it will copy to server B )
2. When server A is down, server B should serve DNS service in exactly the sameway ? (will the Local Data turn to Yes?)
3. I found the Local Date of the domain record of domain.com in both server is No. Is it abnormal?
4. When server A is down, Will server B serve mail service in exactly the same way? (will the Local Data turn to Yes?)

Last edited:
Multiserver is for dns only. It will never do anything for mail for you. It is a master-slave dns setup.

Actually it's a dual master setup for DNS; not quite the same as master-slave, as it works differently. And no, the Local Data setting will never change; it's simply a record of where the zone file originates.

Jeff

BHi Franky,

What we have done, is split the mailservers with MX records
internet > mx server > da server
for the content self we use DNS with powerDNS. we have split the resellers on each own IP on several servers.

Maybe this is something usefull.

edit:
i rered my own comment, but it doesn't make sense to the question ;)
maybe we can setup together to create such environment that you can upscale the direct admin over a sort of cluster servers.

Last edited:
Still don't get it with multi server setup and dns :confused:

I have 2 servers
server1 has one IP
server2 has one IP

On server1 I installed DA
On server2 only Debian

Have 2 nameservers: ns1 on IP from server1 and ns2 on IP from server2

So I use server1 for domains/websites and server2 only to be ns2 or can I use server2 also for domains/websites?
Can I use the IP from server1 for ns1 and shared or do I need extra IP to be shared?

When I ad server2 in multi server setup what happens? When I read the explanation "http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=97" they say there's a copy of DA on server2 How do this copy gets there? I can't login on server":2222 There is no DA

I'm sorry, it's al new for me to work with multi server and ns

You need DA on both servers or its not going to work using the directadmin multiserver.

If you don't want to use DirectAdmin on your slave nameserver you can use my Master2Slave DNS Replicator; search these forums.

Jeff

Back