starting ./directadmin - libmysqlclient.so.16 problem

Hello,

Solution to run
Code:
ldconfig
so that the system library linker took another look at the libraries it had, thus found the newly installed mysql lib.
I've added that command to the guide for clarification.

John
I have the same libmysqlclient.so.16 problem and the method listed in the help file is not working for me (i.e. nothing changes). I have Debian 6.0 x64 and do have the correct DA binaries/license. I've tried creating a soft link like the help page says and also tried a hard link with no difference. All file permissions are correct and the link is owned by mysql.

It appears that the ldconfig command is not recognizing the link as it does not show up in the cache (ldconfig -p). Any ideas?

Solution from http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=236 doesn't work for me.
I have Debian 6.0 64bit.

After I update mysql from custombuild I have:

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin o
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
/usr/local/mysql/lib# ls -l libmysqlclient*
-rw-r--r-- 1 mysql mysql 14762606 05-11 20:10 libmysqlclient.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       16 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient_r.a -> libmysqlclient.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       17 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient_r.so -> libmysqlclient.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       17 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient_r.so.18 -> libmysqlclient.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       17 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient_r.so.18.0.0 -> libmysqlclient.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       20 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient.so -> libmysqlclient.so.18
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  mysql       20 06-17 10:28 libmysqlclient.so.16 -> libmysqlclient.so.18
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql       24 06-17 10:05 libmysqlclient.so.18 -> libmysqlclient.so.18.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mysql mysql  6842027 05-11 20:10 libmysqlclient.so.18.0.0
[code]

Could you help me?

Last edited:
I ran into the same issues. I'm not running 64 bit but this solved it for me on Debian 6, 32-bit.

Code:
cd /usr/local/mysql/lib
rm -f libmysqlclient.so.16

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install libmysqlclient16

I update DA from 3.8 to last after some minutes DA login page was not available and I tried to restart DA service with no result.
I have CentOS X86_64. Ther error is:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.16: file too short

Code:
ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.16 is empty, not checked.
The help was not useful for me.

Hi,

I've updated DirectAdmin from 1.38.4 to 1.39 (through the control panel) and now DA won't start.

When I try to start it from the shell I get:
Code:
service directadmin start
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: 
error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: 
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory [FAILED]

I've checked (and tried) the help but without resolve.

I also tried linking so.15 to so.16 but then get the following error:
Code:
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin:
 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.16: version `libmysqlclient_16' 
not found (required by /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin) [FAILED]

(using CentOS 5.5, 64bit)

Last edited:
My Problem Solver by:
Update Mysql from 5.0 to 5.1 with custom build. then rebuild php. update DA manual.

Hi Xtracy
I had this problem today exactly. heck my above solution.

same problem here
centos 64 bit -> updates directadmin to 1.39 and directadmin wont start anymore.

from command line i saw
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading sh
ared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such fi
le or directory

here what i did

1. updates my sql to mysql=5.1 with the custombuild
2. then i rebuild php
3. then cd /usr/local/directadmin
./directadmin p
cd scripts
./update.sh
/etc/init.d/directadmin restart

and then from
:2222/CMD_SHOW_SERVICES full reboot

and directadmin 1.39 is running again.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for your replies, unfortunatly I can't upgrade to mySQL 5.1 at the moment.

Got the same problem, fixes don't work for me on Centos 5.5 x64

Code:
wget -O /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15 [url]http://files.directadmin.com/services/es_5.0_64/libmysqlclient.so.15[/url]
chmod 755 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15
ldconfig

/usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.16: file too short

Last edited:
same problem here
centos 64 bit -> updates directadmin to 1.39 and directadmin wont start anymore.

from command line i saw
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading sh
ared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such fi
le or directory

here what i did

1. updates my sql to mysql=5.1 with the custombuild
2. then i rebuild php
3. then cd /usr/local/directadmin
./directadmin p
cd scripts
./update.sh
/etc/init.d/directadmin restart

and then from
:2222/CMD_SHOW_SERVICES full reboot

and directadmin 1.39 is running again.

Woot! Thanks, now DA is backup and running.

Got the same problem, fixes don't work for me on Centos 5.5 x64

Code:
wget -O /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15 [url]http://files.directadmin.com/services/es_5.0_64/libmysqlclient.so.15[/url]
chmod 755 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15
ldconfig

same issue here
Code:
 directadmin]# ./directadmin o
./directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# service directadmin start
Starting DirectAdmin: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]

uname -i
x86_64

centos 5.6
mysql 5.0
php-cgi 5.2-latest

can't update to 5.1 due to compatibility issues.

Hello,

I found that the CentOS 5 64-bit binaries were linked to libmysqlclient.so.16 when they might have not been before. I'm going to rebuild them and force them not to link to it (they'll have internal mysql code instead).
Once I release 1.39.1, use this guide to grab the new version.

John

Hi john,
thank you for the prompt replay,
i have rolled back the binary on the server for now to 1.38.4

looking forward for updates.

Have a good day/night :)

Hello,

The CentOS 5 64-bit binary package is now in the system. You can use the mentioned guide to get these new binaries (1.39.1).

John

John,

Hopefully you'll announce when the new binaries are ready for install from the control panel; I (and I'd presume others) will wait until all is sorted out.

Thanks.

Jeff

Thank you for this fix. I have upgraded to 1.39.1 and it's working as it should now. DA is running now and I don't have any errors.

libmysqlclient.so.18

hi!
on my debian(32 bits) system,the error is :
error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.18: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
i type the command and it work pertect!
# ln -s /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18 /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18
(suppose your MYSQL is installed in /usr/local)
chenpang

I am in the middle of setting up a server with Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit and I too am having this problem as well during the install. During the first run and when it spit out the error message it told me that I needed to do the following;
Code:
 apt-get install libdb4.8-dev libperl-dev libsasl2-dev
So I did that and ran setup again and then it did this;
Code:
./directadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So then I followed the suggestion posted here http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=236 and did this;
Code:
wget -O /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16 http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_5.0_64/libmysqlclient.so.16
chmod 755 /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16
ldconfig

Now I am running setup again and I will keep you posted.

Back