==

Is exim not running at all?

post error logs

Also try

cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./exim.sh

Hello to you all...

I have the same problem.
Everything is working on a dedicated server with Ubuntu 10.04 and DA, but Exim won't start.
I have also installed the Exim editor and when I try to configure it I get this error:

Warning: file(/etc/exim.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/enable_disable_rbl.php on line 0 Warning: join(): Invalid arguments passed in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/enable_disable_rbl.php on line 0 Warning: file(/etc/exim.conf): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/functions-exim-editor.php on line 0 Warning: file(/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/data/rbl_config-.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/enable_disable_rbl.php on line 0 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/functions-exim-editor.php on line 0 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/functions-exim-editor.php on line 0 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Exim_Editor/sources/functions-exim-editor.php on line 0

Any idea what's going on?
Plus: I get every hour a system message saying the same thing:
"The service exim on server xxx is currently down"

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Themis

PS: I forgot to mention that when I restart exim (via SSH) I get the following error:

Code:
Starting exim: /usr/sbin/exim: error while loading shared libraries: libdb-4.6.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi Alex,

This is the first thing I tried to do, but... there is no such library in Ubuntu.
The only related thing was libdb-dev, I installed it allright, and nothing changed. The worst is that after I rebooted the server proftpd service stopped and I can't get it working...

Thanks for replying.

Does anybody know a way to install the library manually in Ubuntu? I couldn't find anything related in Ubuntu forums...

Best regards
Themis

Do you have libdb at all? Are you running 64bit or 32bit?

On my linux box, I've got:

Code:
# locate libdb | grep so$ | grep -v home
/lib/libdb-4.3.so
/lib64/libdb-4.3.so
/usr/lib/libdb-4.3.so
/usr/lib/libdb.so
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.3.so
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx.so
/usr/lib64/libdb-4.3.so
/usr/lib64/libdb.so
/usr/lib64/libdb_cxx-4.3.so
/usr/lib64/libdb_cxx.so

At least you can recompile Exim from source without the requested library.

Examine your proftpd logs in /var/log/proftpd directory and /var/log/message to find the reason.

I have also installed the Exim editor and when I try to configure it I get this error

Exim with DA has it's own config with it's own logic and structure, and I suppose, you'd better not try to reconfigure it via 3rd party software. You'd better find a Directadmin plug-in for this purposes.

Hi, thank you Alex for replying,

I will try to find the library as soon as I get home, although it might have a third party repository.

By the way, how can I recompile exim from source? (tough question, hah...)
I have uninstalled the Exim editor, but the problem was not solved.

Maybe I should try CentOS. The reason I chose Ubuntu (10.04 64bit) is that I use it also on my laptop.

I'll get back to you...

Best regards
Themis

Hi,

Iget the following result when I search for libdb:

Code:
# locate libdb | grep so$ | grep -v home
usr/lib/libdb-4.8.so
This result is after a clean install of ubuntu.
(The datacenter has a rescue system which (re-)installs the image in 5 minutes. Cool?)

Any idea?
Anybody?
Should I try a 32bit version?

Regards
Themis

I'd create a symlink /usr/lib64/libdb-4.8.so to /usr/lib/libdb-4.8.so
If it does not help, I'd create a symlink /usr/lib/libdb-4.6.so and /usr/lib/libdb-4.6.so, additionally.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
The problem was solved after an OS fresh install and install/update of the libdb4.8 and libdb4.8-dev libraries.

The problem with proftpd was solved by installing/updating the libcap2 and building again proftpd with ./build
At least for now...

Regards
Themis

The problem with proftpd was solved temporarily...
Whenever I reboot the server, proftpd is stopped.
The message is:
Code:
warning: `proftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
Also, when I build proftpd shows an error that the file
Code:
Starting proftpd - Fatal: Scoreboardfile: unable to use
/var/run/proftpd/proftpd.pid No such file or directory on line
13 of /etc/proftpd.conf
I have changed the location of proftpd.pid and set it to
/var/run/proftpd.pid (at /etc/proftpd.conf)

Well, proftpd started immediately after that.

Do you think that there is a way to replace proftpd with pureftpd?

For some reason ProFTPd wasn't keeping the pid file (which keeps track of the process ID of a running dameon) where it thought it was.

Note that ProFTPd on DirectAdmin doesn't use a standard configuration at all; it's highly customized to allow logins of virtual FTP users with proper ownership rights.

To do so, ProFTPd uses files designed into DirectAdmin. To replace ProFTPd with another FTP daemon you'd have to first fully understand which files ProFTPd uses, and how, then create a system (possibly running often as a cronjob) to create a PureFTP configuration which would do the same.

Good Luck :)

Jeff

Got it!!!!
I've managed to fix similar problem at last!!!:)
thank you soooooooo much!!!!!;)

Back