blacklist domains

dvnscr

Verified User
Hello,

Is it actually possible to make /etc/virtual/blacklist_domains, blacklist_senders etc. work?

Can't get why it is not working. For example, i have added domain.net to /etc/virtual/blacklist_domains a week ago, still i am seeing it sending mail to my server easily.

Which version of the SpamBlocker exim.conf file are you running? If you're not sure, post the first seven lines of the file.

By default SpamBlocker doesn't block email for any domains. To use the blocklists to block incoming email for a domain on your server, the domain name must be listed in /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains, in the same format as it's listed in /etc/virtual/domains.

If you want the blocklists to work for all domains, including new ones, as they are added, automatically, you can delete the /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains file and recreate it as a symbolic link to /etc/virtual/domains.

Otherwise, if you want blocklists to work only for specific domains, add those domains to the /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains file in the same format as they're listed in the /etc/virtual/domains file.

Note that until the new SpamBlocker3 file becomes final you won't be able to exclude specific domains from the file if you use the first option above.

Jeff

hi there,

SpamBlocker Version 3.2.4 RC

Then what is the use of

# /etc/virtual/bad_sender_hosts
# /etc/virtual/bad_sender_hosts_ip
# /etc/virtual/blacklist_domains
# /etc/virtual/blacklist_senders
# /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains
# /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts
# /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts_ip
# /etc/virtual/whitelist_senders

if it does not work??

With all current versions of SpamBlocker, the default is to NOT use it.

The READMEs should be self-explanatory. You need to choose the domains for which you want to use SpamBlocker (to block based on blocklists) (by listing them in the use_rbl_domains file, or to choose to use SpamBlocker for all domains (by creating a link so that use_rbl_domains is a symbolic link to domains. I've tried to explain that clearly in my post above.

With the most current RC and later (RC-6a) you can, after creating the link, add domains to skip_rbl_domains if you don't want them to use SpamBlocker.

The reason for the default is that when SpamBlocker was first written most administrators didn't believe in using it for clients who didn't specifically ask for blocking.

Once you've properly set the domains for which you want it used, those files you mentioned do work.

SpamBlocker, after all is said and done... is a labor of hate; I wrote it because I hate spam. By nature of my reason for writing it, it's bound to have some of my prejudices in it.

Jeff

I see now.
I have wrongly understood, that use_rbl_domains was meant for dns block list servers only. Thank you for clarification.

That was the original model, but a lot of features have been added since then.

I thought of renaming it but that would make an upgrade quite a bit more complex, so I left it.

You may choose to browse the exim.conf file to see where it's used if you need more detail.

Jeff

Back